Finding the Words

Scene 1: Addington High Main Hall

Tony Milligan

My jacket is grabbed and I am pulled into a corner.

"Alison," I said in surprise, "what are you doing? I have to see the headmistress-"

"I know. I heard her call you."

"You heard her? You were in there?"

She frowned. "Yes."

"What's going on?"

"Lisa told!" Alison huffed. "I didn't know she was in the restroom and Brooke and Evie brought up...the stuff we've been doing."

"Did you deny it?"

She nodded, sadly. "I'll be expelled."

"Why don't you give up Evie and Brooke?"

"Because it was all my idea."

"They didn't plan anything?"

"No, I came up with the No-kiss-list, and I got the hot-or-not idea from Heather. They're accomplices but I'll still be in the most trouble."

If they were her friends they'd go down with her and lessen the punishment for all of them—but they're not. They would band together against Alison if given the chance.

"I have to go in, but don't worry, I would never say anything that can be used against you."

"Don't get yourself in trouble for me." She sighed, running her hand down my arm. I smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "Tony, I'm serious. I don't want you to get hurt again."

"I won't," I assured her. "Get to class, okay? I'll talk to you after."

Alison nodded and reluctantly left me. I waited until she was out of view before I walked over to Headmistress Sanderson's office. Ali would listen outside of the door if she could—she hates not knowing everything.

I knocked and waited for a response.

"You may enter," she said. And when I did, I regretted it immediately. "Have a seat, please."

"Thank you." I kept my head low to avoid her cold glare.

"I've been made aware of a situation and you have been named as a victim and potential coconspirator."

"I don't know what you could be referring to."

"A student has come forward with information regarding the slander that has been plastered and passed through the halls of Addington these past months. I am sure you are aware of how seriously we take bullying considering your history with its consequences."

"Yes, but I have nothing to do with it this time."

"What is your relationship with Alison Sinclair?"

My teeth gritted. "Alison is innocent. Whoever reported her must be mistaken."

"The best thing you can do for her is be honest."

"I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Alison hasn't been in trouble recently. You should be questioning people who are known for bullying. Mean girls...like Audrey Michaels...Heather Blakely. Everyone talks, many students here say that they're behind it."

She clasped her hands together, and I suddenly feel as though I'm before an organized crime leader. "Based on what evidence?"

"The things that were written. Some of it was personal—like there was a vendetta against ex-boyfriends. Alison being with me would have no reason to participate in that sort of behavior. The chart, especially had Heather written all over it."