Just to be Near

Scene 1: Addington High Auditorium

Alison Sinclair

"Now that Cali is off the table, I'm glad I went on that Cornell tour," Heather sighed.

"You can still go to a college over there," I reminded her.

"I don't want to be far away anymore," she shook her head. It sounded as though she was disappointed in herself for not wanting to leave.

I almost began to ask why but my attention was stolen by a boy smiling and waving in our direction.

My eyebrow raised. "Do you know him?"

"I do, weirdly."

"Heather, wasn't it?"

"I'm surprised you remember me at all."

"You're the first and only high school girl who ended up in my room. You put me on the scoreboard," he smiled. "Joking."

"I don't believe you are," she replied. "Alison this is Paul, I met him during the campus tour."

"I must have missed that part of it. What are you doing here?"

"Cornell's history department partially funds the Senior D.C. trip. We're big on the active learning stuff."

"Oh, so you're here to convince us that this isn't the worst school field trip ever?"

"Everything I say up there will be boring, but I'm sure you all know why this trip is fun."

People have come back single, in a relationship, consummated, pregnant, humiliated, and miserable. It's something we look forward to our entire high school experience.

"Did you enjoy it?" Heather asked him.

"You would think that partying and getting together with people isn't a big deal considering you do it all of the time, but there's something about doing it under the noses of your least favorite administrators that really gives it an extra kick."

"Running around a hotel in pajamas after curfew will give me an extra kick," I add before removing myself from their reunion.

I was afraid Audrey would tell Heather about the situation, but she is well aware of how little credibility she has with Heather after not speaking to her so much this year.

The headmistress has all but forgotten about it by now. A threat was brought into the ecosystem and as a result, everyone adapted. Brooke and Evie should be thanking me for introducing them, they're always together now. I haven't done anything wrong...besides, it was a long-winded way of forcing Tony and me to talk.

If I can fix us, I can help him. I can fix everything.

"How's your boy?" I hear, and for a second, I thought someone read my mind.

"Not my boy," Paul replied. "How's yours?"

"Not my boy," Heather said in the same solemn manner she used with me. "I didn't tell you about him."

"I could tell we were in similar waters."

"How?"

"Strangers never show that much sympathy without reason," he nudged her, "I don't need any sympathy now, though. Wyatt's a thing of the past."

"It wasn't meant to be. Save your time."

"Are you taking your own advice?"

"No...but I have enough time to spend it on what I want," she smirked.

God, Heather, could you flirt with guys some other time? I don't have anyone else to sit with. I crossed my arms and turned around. My heart dropped as Audrey and I locked eyes.