For Tonight, I Will Lie

Scene 1: Video Bin

Matt Jensen

I hate saying sorry. I don't think I'm wrong all that often, so I guess I'm not used to having to say I am.

And I know saying sorry means a lot...I can forgive someone on the spot because they cared enough to say it.

I know I'm wrong...and I feel bad. I've always felt bad even though I saw her first, you just kissed her first, and I had to back off...

Leo looks over at me as soon as I walk through the door. He doesn't speak, so I head over to the shelves.

The prices here are jacked up, and I don't live close enough to make an account. He knows that...but he's not gonna talk first.

"Anything good come in?" I asked.

"No."

"Oh...okay." I put my hands in my pockets and back away from the movies.

"But my employee discount is 20% so you can get whatever you want."

"...thanks," I said, relieved that he's not at my throat. Leo nodded.  "We just got the new Deftones. You like them right?"

"Think so."

"Well, I got it for you...just in case. Employee discount." I shrugged. "Plus, Elle said she wasn't going to let you buy it and force her to listen."

He rolled his eyes. "She likes them."

"Yeah," I laughed to myself, "she doesn't like that someone else found them first."

Leo smirked and shook his head. "Tell her they're garbage and she'll join the fan club."

We laughed together and it almost felt like the hatchet was buried and I could leave everything unsaid.

But I'm not that kind of guy, and I don't want to be...pride aside.

"I'm sorry for all of this crap. I didn't mean to start liking her. I wouldn't do that to you on purpose, man."

"I know. I just wish you would've said something."

"I felt like shit for crushing on your girl."

"She doesn't know."

"I figured that out when she didn't punch me in the face..."

"Telling her wouldn't have fixed anything. You'd still like her, and she'd feel awkward at work."

"I don't want to make her uncomfortable—you neither. She's yours and I can deal with that."

"Then what was up with you telling her about that Heather thing?" He asked, frustratedly.

"I swear it was an accident. I was kinda ranting because she said something that made me feel bad, but she wasn't supposed to hear...and I was only on your ass about saying Heather's name that day because you made it easy. Elle's off-limits. You don't have to worry about anything else. I mean, I don't even get to see her the way you do, so I know you like her more."

"Yeah, she's a great girl. That's why I was pissed about everything else and not because you like her. Anyone would."

I nodded. "She makes the most sales since everyone wants help from her. She's smiling and talking nice and you want to be around her all the time." Leo pressed his lips together and I nudged him from across the counter. "That's what you do. Get the girl everybody else wants."

"I guess so."

"I don't want to take her from you. I wouldn't even try."

"I know."