Class Blues

Scene 1: Addington High

Leo Rylin

"Are you sick?" Jordan asked.

"No, couldn't sleep last night." I rub my eyes. I know I look like shit.

"Wanna smoke?"

"I'm out."

"I got you." He shrugged and took a step forward before retreating immediately. "Oh, fuck-" Jordan nudged me over and over as Elle marched toward us with an old grocery bag on her arm.

"Here's all your shit!" She reached into the bag and started throwing stuff at me.

Jordan and I duck and weave while my things smash against the lockers and hit the ground. "Stop! Are you nuts?"

"Fuck you!" Elle kept exercising that pitching arm.

"Calm down." I wrangled her wrists so she couldn't hurt anyone—me or the bystanders.

"Get off of me!" She writhed and fought until I let go. "You broke up with me for her didn't you?"

"Who?"

"Don't play dumb." She scoffed. "I knew it. I can tell when you're lying."

"I didn't break up with you for anyone. I just didn't want to keep stringing you along."

"I could kill you." She grabbed her hair and paced in frustration. It doesn't look like she slept well, either. I wish it didn't give her time to come up with theories... "This whole fucking time, you were thinking about her."

"No."

"Why are you still lying? You already dumped me!"

"I'm sorry. I really am," I spoke calmly hoping she'd do the same. "Do you want to talk? We can go outside."

"Am I embarrassing you?" She steps out into the hallway with her arms open and raises her voice. "Are you embarrassed right now?"

"You're gonna get detention."

"Oh, can you ask your girlfriend if she can call her daddy to get me out?"

"Please stop," I muttered knowing Heather walked by when I was trying to catch my headphones before they hit my face.

We both caught a glimpse of each other but she must've kept walking instead of enjoying the shit show.

"Was Matt telling the truth?"

"About what?"

"Was he telling the truth?"

"...it's complicated."

"It's yes or no."

I sighed and shrugged defeatedly. "Elle, I-"

"You piece of shit," she said in disbelief.

"Alright, that's fair."

"Oh, fuck off." She pushed me and I stayed away hoping that would be the end of it.

"Did you leave anything with me that you want back?"

"Um...my heart," she announced as she started leaving the scene of the crime, "my virginity, and...the past few months of my life since you asked."

Once she put up her middle finger and turned away, I leaned against the lockers and let out a deep breath.

"Damn," Jordan said. "Some of the things on that list are gonna be kinda hard to give back..."

Scene 2: Sinclair Residence

Alison Sinclair

"If we leave now I can beg the dean not to call my parents. If we wait any longer it will be too late," Tony argued.