How You Remind Me

Scene 1: Addington High Cafeteria

Heather Blakely

"Uh oh, look who it is," Audrey spoke contemptuously to Alison. "Do you have clippers? I'm sure her claws are still out."

"Ha-ha." I sat down in front of them. "I promise I'll be nice."

"That's a start."

"I never meant to be so horrible..."

She shrugged. "I've seen worse."

"I didn't mean what I said about you as a host. I was irritated and taking it out on you."

"You're forgiven."

I sigh at Alison. "And you can date Jace, if he is who you want. I don't care." It's your heart on the line, not mine.

"Thanks...but I don't think we will ever be a serious couple."

"Good call," Audrey jibed.

"He has some decent qualities. If he makes you happy then go for it, I guess."

"I'm going to keep my options open...no more of your ex-boyfriends, though." No more that are available.

But..."Speaking of," I let out a deep breath as my eyes set on my target. "I'll be right back."

Audrey checks for who I was looking at and then gives me a concerned expression. "Where are you going?"

"Heather-" Alison said, warningly.

Elle is standing with her friends, and I recognize one of them from chemistry class.

"Hey," I said to announce myself.

"What?" Elle replied, harshly.

"There is a special exhibition at The Met next weekend. It's mostly exclusive, but," I take a couple of tickets out of my bag, "if you want to go."

"This some kinda joke?" She grabs them from me and passes them behind her.

"No, the exhibit is in the American wing. You can ask around if you don't believe me."

"Do I look like I care about some dumb art museum?"

"No one is really there for the art. It's an excuse to dress up for a night and drink wine and champagne." She looked at me as if she still didn't buy it. "And there's food," I added, but her expression didn't change. "Look, I thought it would be nice to offer. You could make it a date, we won't even have to interact with each other."

"Did he talk to you?" She crossed her arms.

"What do you mean?"

"Did Leo tell you to do this?"

"No."

"So, you just thought you'd try to play nice today, that's it?"

I force a smile onto my face. "Seems so."

"Oh, wow," she smiles as well. "Not interested." Her friends laughed and they walked off scoffing and sneering. "Snob."

Audrey takes my arm and starts to bring me back to the table. "And that is why we don't communicate with these people."

"It doesn't matter. No one can say I didn't try to be nice to her now."

Scene 2: 30th Avenue