Other People's Problems

Scene 1: Madison Street

Leo Rylin

"I got my costume," Elle said.

"Yeah? I'm still working on getting mine."

She sighed. "I told you where to go. You should've just let me get it."

We're going as Fred and Daphne— which was just a step up from Mario and Princess Peach. I haven't bought the costume yet because I feel like I can slack off and put something together myself that's just good enough that people can guess who I am if I'm standing next to Elle.

"I can grab it, if you remind me," my mom offered.

"Are you picking up a costume?"

"Yes, Phil wants to take me to a Halloween party his office is having," she said, excitedly.

"How long are you going to be out?"

"It'd be irresponsible for either of us to drive home late, and we do plan on having a few drinks..."

"So?"

"So we're going to stay in the hotel where the party is being held."

"Wait— but you said you wanted us to give out candy to the kids this year since you weren't working. I thought you were looking forward to it." She wanted to see the children in costumes since she can't dress me anymore.

"I was, but there's always next year, jellybean."

I scoffed.

Yeah, right, next year you'll be working.

"Just let her go," Elle spoke quietly into my ear. "We'll get the place to ourselves for the whole night."

"Fine," I muttered back to her.

"Oh, and Phil wants to cook for us sometime. He even wants you to bring Elle," my mom smiled like this was a good thing.

"Not interested."

"I am," Elle responded. "Is he a good cook?"

"He comes from a line of chefs. You should see how quickly he can cut vegetables."

I shrugged. "Serial killer."

"Let me know what night he chooses. I'll make sure I can get out of work."

"He'd be happy to work around your schedule."

I rolled my eyes and exited the conversation by walking toward my room. "Good ol' Phil making sure chivalry isn't dead."

Elle sighed when she followed after me. "Why don't you want to do this? Is something wrong with him?"

"He's a stranger who wants to be around all of a sudden just because I met him once by accident. I only tried to be nice because she asked me to."

"Your mom?"

"...yeah."

"Then forget about it if you're that against it. I just thought it'd be nice to have dinner together without your friends there."

"Don't we do that?" I asked, and she shook her head, disappointedly. "I'm sorry...we can start."

"Okay," she said, not half as pleased as I thought she'd be.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Elle kept her eyes down. "But, Matt said something weird yesterday."

"That's not news."

"It was what you think about when we have sex."

"...what?"

...He wouldn't.