Sour Talk

Scene 1: Girls' Restroom

Alison Sinclair

"How do you know she won't keep it or throw it away?" Evelyn asked.

"She runs on gossip." I rolled my eyes. "Nosey Nancy will be sure to pass this around."

"It's pretty enough to be hung in my room," Brooke said, complimenting the design of our smear poll.

Reminiscing with Heather made me wonder why we didn't turn the tables in junior high after the boys insisted on assigning numbers to us. But, it's never too late to let them know they're not as hot as they think they are...and it's only fair.

Also, as public school as it was to have a chart displaying who had the best body parts, there is something inspired about it. We're not doing their asinine genre of rankings like "best boobs," but there is a category for worst biceps.

"How will we get it back?" Evie questioned.

"I figured we could ask around. That way we'll be sure it's being used and we will know where to find it."

"What about the boys? Don't you think they might take it or tell a teacher?"

"You're underestimating their arrogance. Some of them are bound to have good scores, and that will be enough to keep them morbidly curious until the chart is filled," I explained. "Those who don't see the list— will get their results when we post them."

"On the walls again?" Brooke asked.

"Have you heard of Riot Grrrl magazine?"

She snickered. "You're punk now?"

"I like the idea." I shrugged. "I don't have time to be Vogue or anything, but a homemade magazine will be easy enough to distribute. The supplies are here."

"We are going to be in so much trouble," Evie sighed.

"We won't be caught. Besides, who is getting hurt?"

"Garret Mycoff," Brooke replied with a smirk as she drew a 2 by his name. "Worst lips," she gagged while adding him under the heading.

Evie took the pen next and put a 5 by Jace's name, and then submitted him under the category of No Personality.

"Are you going to add anything?" She asked.

"I think I'll remain impartial this time." I take the chart from her. "I need to hurry anyway. The bell is going to ring soon."

"Do you want us to come with you?"

"No, it'll be more inconspicuous if I do this alone."

"Okay, we'll talk later," Evie reassured. "Be careful."

I nodded and left the restroom first. They're going in the opposite direction of Nancy's locker which is good considering Nancy is a beacon— she draws in girls the way lights draw bugs. Not all of us should get caught if things go south.

Before I slip the chart through the locker vent, I unfold it and take out a marker.

Tony Milligan: 10

Scene 2: Outside of Addington High

Danny Cole

People go to the back of the school when they wanna smoke, make out, cry—whatever. You come alone unless you don't wanna be alone.

Someone didn't get that message.

"Hi..." Heather said, standing in front of me as I puffed on a cigarette.