Civil Hands Unclean

Scene 1: Homeroom - Chemistry

Tony Milligan

"We postponed it from the summer to the fall, but this isn't a spontaneous thing, it was always supposed to happen," Heather explained to the group she gathered.

"I'm surprised your mother agreed to this," Lisa said.

"She didn't want to, but the line was my birthday present and it's my name on everything, so she's letting me."

"Nice of you to support the veterans." I never could figure out how the country was okay with them 'serving' it and then being left homeless or deeply scarred.

"And other elderly. They all need better care and accessible services. Their families just abandon them," Heather said, disheartened.

"But thanks to Heather by Camille Blakely..." Lisa said jokingly.

"I only want to help, and who doesn't love a good fashion show?"

"Can I get a plus one?" Someone asked her.

"No need. Everyone's invited." She looked toward where Leo is sat in the back of the class and gave him a once-over. "Well, almost everyone."

He chuckled but didn't say anything.

Mr. Vogel enters the classroom and closes the door behind him. "Take your seats. Find a partner for today's lab."

We all started moving around, picking people and sitting at their tables.

I sit next to Leo.

"Hey."

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Oh, do you already have a partner?"

"Aren't you supposed to be on the other side of this?"

"Of what?"

"You're Heather's friend."

"I don't think there needs to be sides."

"You'd be surprised," he laughed, and I followed his sights to Heather who rolled her eyes at me.

I shrug. "What'd you do?"

"This is on me?"

"She's nice until you do something to her, yes?" At least that's how I remember it.

"I'm not gonna take that. She's acting like this because she wants to. That's all her."

"I don't think she likes doing it."

"I think you're wrong."

I shake my head. "...I think you're just saying that."

Leo looks at me, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Who are you doing this for?"

"No one in particular...or everyone. I'm guessing neither of you is enjoying the side eyes and insults. It's a big jump from how you used to look at and speak to each other...and it's awkward for the people around you."

I hate that an end of a relationship means that someone is going to lose friends too. It's as if they have to choose who gets the kids in the divorce.

"You're not gonna make a difference, and she can be pissed off the rest of her life for all I care. I never said I wanted to be her friend."

"When you're both feeling better, you'll regret not getting through this part amicably."

"I feel fine."

"That's good," I said as I put on the safety goggles. "But I think everyone else picked sides and...Heather won, so I'll keep being your lab partner."

Scene 2: Chester High