Don't Think Twice

Scene 1: Addington High

Danny Cole

"The classes are about to be empty. A bunch of people signed up for some college tour shit. We should get out of here," Jordan said.

"Yeah, alright."

"I'm gonna get my stuff real quick"

"Let some people know we're going to Mandy's. If you find Leo, tell him to come on, but not if he's with Elle." She's a backseat driver. And I'm fucking tired of couples.

Jordan nodded and went on his way while I turned to go back to the van before a bell rang and someone could try to stop me.

I didn't want to be here today, anyway. And the sun is shining brighter now that I'm leaving.

"Wait," I heard as I stood in front of my door, and Heather came racing down the stairs to get to me.

"You're not a narc now, are you?"

"No." She handed me a pamphlet.

"What?" The Bedell Wellness and Rehabilitation Center. "The fuck is this?"

"It's a good place."

"Rehab? What the hell do you know, trying to send me to rehab?"

"I don't know anything, but if you want help-"

"Fuck off, I don't need your sponsorship."

"It won't cost anything. My parents donate plenty of money there since that's where most of our neighbors and friends go when they get into a bit of trouble. It's known for discretion, I promise."

"Take your stupid pamphlet." I forced it into her hands.

"It isn't as if you have to check yourself in for weeks. They offer outpatient care programs."

"What makes you think I'm on something anyway, huh? You figured I must be because you don't like me, is that it?" I spat.

"I heard you in the staircase. And you're going through withdrawals, it's obvious."

"You don't give a shit. What, you're scared I'm sharing with Leo? Mind the dick that fucks you, Heather. Get off of mine."

She glowered and threw the pamphlet back at me before heading toward the school again just as Jordan was coming out of it.

He furrowed his eyebrows at the both of us but kept quiet until he got to the van.

"Friend of yours?" Jordan teased.

I rolled my eyes and sat in the driver's seat. "Am I waiting for anybody?"

"Nah, they're gonna meet you there. Can you drop me off at home?"

"Yeah, but you owe me gas money."

"Since when?"

"Since I don't have the gas to be driving you around everywhere."

"Or you're broke because you keep spending all your cash on bullshit," he muttered.

"Fucking whatever you owe me money." I don't need to hear shit from you or Heather and her goddamn wellness center.

Scene 2: Cornell University

Ethan Carey

"It does look less like an internment camp than I thought it would."