A Penalty for Your Thoughts

Scene 1: The Helmsley Hotel

Heather Blakely

I woke up before him. I probably fell asleep before him. I wonder which one of us decided it'd be more appropriate to sleep next to each other if we were on the rug.

The last thing I remember is us laughing over a plate of sandwiches while music played in the background and he offered to make me another mix...though I'm sure he'll forget, and I'd feel uncomfortable reminding him.

We were starved. Considering no one here does much cooking, the kitchen isn't exactly stocked with ingredients but Leo didn't need much. All I recall is bread, cheese, garlic butter—and it being better than anything I've ever eaten.

I fawned over it and he refused to take the flattery. "Everything tastes better when you're high. Everything feels better too. You have no idea."

"Good afternoon," I said as he began to shuffle awake.

"Hungover?"

"From the drugs?"

He laughed and rubbed his eyes. "Stop saying it like that."

"I feel a little...fuzzy. Will it go away?"

"Yeah, you just need to wake up some more."

I nodded. "Do you want to have breakfast? Or lunch."

"No," he sighed. "I need to get out of here."

"Is Isabel going to be upset with you?"

"Nah, looks like Phil's gonna come in handy, after all."

I smiled and shook my head. "It's nice to know you're warming up."

"...Can you not tell anyone I was here?"

"Sure," I laughed. "You weren't supposed to fall asleep anyway."

"No, I mean I was never at your party in the first place."

"...why?" My eyebrows drew together. "What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing, but I keep telling you—she's not comfortable with us being friends."

"Yes, but it seemed you found a way around that," considering no one forced you to come by or be near me, but you chose to.

"I just don't want to fight with you."

I scoffed. "That's your excuse? Any time you spend with me is simply to 'avoid conflict?'" He let out a breath, but the phone started to ring before he could respond. "One second." I rolled my eyes and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Heather, did you know about Tony's girlfriend?" Lisa asked.

"Sabrina?"

"Alison."

"...Alison and Tony?" A long time coming. "Oh...I'm sorry, Lisa."

"When..." Her voice cracks. "I thought..."

"It must have happened recently, and he didn't know how you felt..."

"Well, yes, but it hurts anyway."

"I know..."

"Do you mind if I let Austin take me to the dance tonight?"

"Of course. Whatever is best for you."

"You'll still go, won't you? I'll need more moral support than just him."

"I already have a ticket, so I might as well."

"Thank you, Heather."

"See you soon." The phone clicks on the other end, and I'm tempted to pretend she's still speaking so I can shoo Leo away—but I don't.