What You Are Looking For

Scene 1: The Bedell Wellness & Rehabilitation Center

Danny Cole

"I brought you tea." Mick hands me a small, lidded cup while keeping the bigger one for himself.

"I hate tea," I complained and he gave me the disappointed parent look. My eyes rolled. "I'll drink it." It smells like chamomile, my mom used to drink tons of this shit. Mick doesn't do caffeine, he calls it another addiction.

"You ready for this?" He asked.

"Being pathetic in public?"

"What did I tell you about that, huh?"

"Yeah," I hung my head low, "I heard you."

"Those your friends?" He asked, eyeing them in the distance.

"Leo and Matt," I confirmed.

"Good influences?"

"I'm the one in NA, so what's that tell you?"

"Nothing."

"They're alright. I don't get caught up in peer pressure."

"Otherwise, you'd be playing with the water cups in a five thousand dollars a month wellness center."

I turned to see what he was on about.

Leo is filling up cups and handing them to Matt who tries to chug them as fast as Leo passes them.

Jesus Christ.

I sucked my teeth disapprovingly as I approached.
"What are you idiots doing?"

"Hydrating," Matt answered, water dripping down his chin and onto his shirt. "I'm gonna have to piss before this starts."

"What is it...by the way?" Leo asked.

"It's one of those things where they make you bring someone to hear about your progress, and Mick is already here so-" I shrugged.

"It's working then?" Matt says on a high note.

"I guess."

"Good, I'm glad—I'm happy for you."

"If you make a big deal about it, I'll get you kicked out."

"Wha-" Matt shook his head in defeat and then wandered toward a trash can to toss the cups in.

"Are we the only ones you invited?" Leo questioned.

"Yeah, Amanda had to work and I don't think Zach should see rehab."

"This is a fucking spa," he chuckled as he glanced around the place.

"I know, these people have no shame. Heather said it should look like this so no one feels punished for getting help."

"She's got a point."

"Yeah," I agreed, half-heartedly. "She's not coming."

"I didn't ask."

"But you wanted to know." It had to be why he cared who was invited. "She can't stand Matt."

"Really?"

"I told her I was bringing him and you should've seen her try to be supportive."

Leo sighed and chuckled. "It's always one of you."

"She's got no issue with me. She's nice no matter what now." Leo rolled his eyes and started walking toward the chairs. "Are you still fucking jealous?" I asked, amusedly.

"Shut up," he replied.

"I'm about to do a lot of talking."

Everyone must've been watching the clock because the seats were full of patient drug abusers and their hopeful families at 11:30 on the dot.