Just Disappointed

Scene 1: M22 Bus

Zach Teeling

"Are you never going to speak to me again?" Evan asked.

My mom sent us both on a trip to drop a check off at the post office. It's a one-person job but this is how she makes Evan feel included. Now I have to sit next to him on a bus.

"I spoke to you this morning."

"Pass the milk?"

I nodded. "Yeah, thanks."

"Why are you mad at me?"

"I'm not." I shrugged. "...I didn't know you liked Karlie."

"I told you she was pretty."

"So? I think she's pretty too, I don't kiss her."

"You don't kiss girls."

"I wish you didn't either," I mumbled and kept my head turned toward the window.

"What's this about?"

"We're all friends. You and Karlie are going to ruin it."

"I don't think so." He gestured between me and him, "Look at us."

"Exactly."

"I thought we were fine?"

"We didn't like each other over and over. You had to be homeless before we could talk. Is Karlie losing her house soon?"

"That won't happen with her because it's not the same, and you know it."

"Right," I rolled my eyes, "straight couples don't have problems."

"Why'd you snap on Karlie?"

"She was my friend first. You're not supposed to date your friend's ex." And after everything she knows about us—and how long she watched me chase you.

"I didn't think it would bother you. We're not conventional."

"So what? I have PTSD from you kissing girls all of the time, and now even Karlie?"

"You'd prefer if it was a guy? Charlie or Oliver?"

Me.

"I guess I don't want to see you making out with anyone ever—whether we're together or not."

"I'll be more careful."

"And never in my room," I said, sternly. "..Or at least not on my bed...it's your room too."

"Okay," he nodded, "no problem...Is that it? We're good now?"

"Are you and her going to get serious?"

"Maybe, I think we're seeing how it feels first."

Great. She gets the real chance with you that I never had. You were scared, and then I was scared, and now you're Karlie's.

"Glad we talked. I feel a lot better," I said, turning away again.

Scene 2: Queens Boulevard

Ethan Carey

The walls are thin in this building. The halls are filled with the sounds of cable television, kids running around, and pots and pans hitting surfaces.

I knock on the door and then take a step back. There are three locks on the door that seems to originally only have two. I heard every one of them unlock before the door opened.

So, it's your face I see in the mirror.

"Hello," I managed to say.

"Hi, whatta you need?"