Whatever the Outcome

Scene 1: Addington High Library

Heather Blakely

"Will this be a proper movie theater experience? Popcorn and candy?" Tony asked Lisa.

"Yes— hopefully."

"It was nice of Audrey to get this pushed through. There were a lot of proposed events."

"I went above Audrey."

"To the dean?" I asked.

"To Natalia."

I smiled to myself— Audrey's a control freak who hates giving up power...unless it's to Natalia. "She's good for Audrey. I didn't know anyone could be so right for someone."

"Yes, you did."

"Didn't you do a physics project on the concept of soul mates?" Tony teased.

"...no," I crossed my arms, closing myself off.

He chuckled but didn't pry. "I don't have a free period, so, unfortunately, I have to go."

"See you during lunch?" Lisa asked him.

"Sure," he replied, smiling in reassurance.

Lisa's eyes follow him until he's out of the door and then she quickly turns back to me. "I need to talk to you. It's boy stuff."

"Me?" I questioned. "Not sure I'll be of much use."

"You're who I go to."

"I don't see why. I'm not swimming in romance."

"You could be."

"I'll do my best," I sighed.

"Austin Duran asked me to the autumn ball, and I said yes— but I think he likes me...in a potential girlfriend way."

"But you don't like him in a potential boyfriend way?"

"No. He wasn't even my first choice as a date...but I can't have my first choice."

"Why not?"

"He's dating someone."

"Who is it?"

"...Tony."

"He's in popular demand these days, isn't he?" I can't imagine what that will do to his head...

"What should I do?"

"Let Austin know you're not interested in pursuing a relationship, but you'd be happy to be his date to the ball."

"And if he says forget it?"

"Forget him. I'll be your date."

Lisa smiles and reaches out for a hug. I let her...but leave her embrace rather quickly. I've been trying to keep to myself.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Sure," I said in a higher pitch.

"...really."

"It's nothing I care to discuss."

I don't know where I stand just yet.

But God, are my feelings hurt.

"Heather..."

I sighed. "The consequences of fighting fire with fire are not stressed enough." And you would've thought Leo and I learned our lessons by now.

Scene 2: Video Bin

Leo Rylin

"If I get a job next door, we can be like Dante and Randall," Zach said while looking out the door.