Chapter 27

Grey

Caera and I sat atop a small cliff that overlooked the entire cavern which held the Alacryan forces. The cavern looked like a stereotypical cave dungeon from an RPG. It was even complete with catwalks and skull lamps. I think there were some fancy treasure chests placed around the base. I started to regret not bringing Regis, not because I needed his help but because he would make this mission in particular so much more interesting.

"Caera, how strong is the average person?" I whispered. There weren't many people here at all. If I had to guess I could see about fifty people. They seemed to be split into two different groups. One was warriors or mages and the other group were utility. I saw some people carry around case's of vials with a black liquid in them. I assumed it was what they were using to corrupt the mana beasts in the dungeons.

"They're all pretty weak, I barely sense any mana in any of them. Although there is one who has a ton of mana. It's that guy over there, I think he's a retainer." Caera replied in an equally quiet voice; she was pointing to a dark corner. I looked in the direction she was pointing and augmented my eyes to see him.

He had a top hat on with a white band going around it just above the rim. His face was covered with a featureless white mask with the eye holes being black. The martial that makes up the eye holes is probably see-through. He had a slender build with very little muscle; his arms and legs were really long which only highlighted his slim body. He was wearing a bright purple suit and a dark magenta bow tie; his suit split off at his waist that went down into two points with each point ending halfway down his shin. He had on skin-tight black pants with tap dancing shoes that lack the tap dancing part. His hands were covered with bright white gloves, he was holding a staff in his left hand. The staff was long and black with a white ball on one end; they were being separated by a golden band. His dark and well kept hair ended just above his shoulder.

He leaned on the wall with his arms and legs crossed. No one seemed to acknowledge his presence. It looked like he was judging everyone. Seeing if they're worthy to live.

"He's dangerous," I noted. "We can't destroy the gate with him there. I'll hold him off and you destroy the gate," I said to Caera. She nodded and we jumped down right in the middle of everyone. Caera rushed to the gate to destroy it and I manifested my armor and sword. I released some aether intent, enough to knock every utility person and some of the weaker fighters.

"An unexpected volunteer! Why don't we exchange a few of our tricks?" asked the masked man as he stepped out of the shadows. "Who are you?!" yelled a mage as he looked at the purple suited man who appeared behind him.

My confusion must've been showing on face because he answered my unasked question. "Oh, ho ho! I'm just as much an intruder as you are! Why don't we put on a show for our friends here?" he asked me. His voice was high pitched and I noticed he was unnaturally tall standing at about 7'2". Not wanting to deny such a tempting offer I responded in kind. "Every great magician needs an assistant, doesn't he?"

He laughed at my response as he gripped his staff like a wand. "What a debut! It's unfortunate my audience is so small though... Ah, what do I care?" Soon a warrior wielding a greatsword ran at him. "For my first trick, I'll cut this man in half!" he exclaimed, sounding amused with himself.

He then sidestepped the warrior with an astounding amount of grace. His footwork even impressed me. He then brought his staff down on the man; despite his staff being blunt it cut through the swordsman with ease, armor and all, leaving the man in two halves. One of the female mages screamed as she saw someone she considered powerful die so quickly at the hands of an enemy.

I then felt someone behind me and I turned around to see a mace coming down onto my head. I parried it and knocked out the wielder making sure not to kill her. I turned and saw the magician had made his way to the girl who screamed and then bowed with a rose in his hand. "A rose for this fine maiden?"