Chapter 31

After dining, Spiritual Master Chu Yun appeared again with a young Taoist attendant who held a tray in his hands. Gu Ru Jiu looked over curiously. On the tray were all kinds of gold, silver and jade tokens that had exquisite craftsmanship and Taoist runes engraved on them.

"Greetings, Virtuous Ones." Spiritual Master Chu Yun turned and took the tray from the young attendant. Then he said, "This poor Taoist has kept these jade tokens in front of the statues of the Three Holy Ones for many years. If Virtuous Ones do not mind, you can keep a few to play with."

"This Grieving One will not look down on an item that Spiritual Master has blessed." Empress Dowager smiled. "Spiritual Master is too polite."

Gu Ru Jiu took the tray from Spiritual Master Chu Yun's hand and curtsied slightly to him before moving back to Empress Dowager Zhou's side.

Spiritual Master Chu Yun returned a bow to her solemnly before turning to speak with Empress Dowager Zhou. He clearly respected Gu Ru Jiu greatly, and did not seem as cold and aloof as the rumours said.

Jin Yang walked next to Gu Ru Jiu's side to look at the items on the tray. Then he reached out and took a fish-shaped jade token about two fingers wide. He saw the surface was carved with complicated runes and the words "Good Fortune."

The jade was of a great quality, and felt comfortable in his hand.

He glanced at the other tokens in the tray, smiled, and put away this token.

Gu Ru Jiu raised an eyebrow. She felt that Jin Yang should have selected the token with the words "Longevity Blessings."

"This poor Taoist has stayed in Jing for many days to have the good fortune to see Honoured Ones today." Spiritual Master Chu Yun led the trio towards the courtyard. In the end, he stood in the wide courtyard. "The world is so large, this poor Taoist should not stay in one place."

Empress Dowager Zhou knew that Spiritual Master Chu Yun was not a person who resided in one place, so she did not try to persuade him otherwise. She only told him to be careful in his travels.

"The heavens have their law, life and death are destined." Spiritual Master Chu Yun clearly appeared very free. He looked at the empress dowager and said, "Virtuous One has raised a legendary emperor. You have boundless virtuous achievements and the reverence of all people."

Empress Dowager Zhou smiled and said, "This Grieving One only asks for that."

Spiritual Master Chu Yun turned back to look at the emperor and County Mistress Gu who were standing nearby, shook his head and smiled. "Virtuous One, do not blame this one for overstepping."

"Spiritual Master is devoted to the people; there is no overstep." Empress Dowager Zhou smiled and took a few steps forward to become closer to Jin Yang and Gu Ru Jiu. "Spiritual Master says that this Grieving One's niece has great fortune, extraordinary riches and honour. Is there a reason?"

"Destiny is determined by the heavens. This noble lady is extremely lucky and her blessings will benefit others." Spiritual Master Chu Yun said emotionally, "This poor Taoist has travelled for many years, and seen many important people in Jing. This Virtuous One's niece is the most lucky."

"It is not important if she is prosperous. As long as she has a peaceful and content life, that will be good fortune," Empress Dowager Zhou heard the words and her expression relaxed. She only half-believed in fate, but who did not like hearing good words?

"Your Majesty." Gu Ru Jiu took the token with the words "Longevity Blessings" and presented it to Jin Yang. "What do you think of this?" While gods and ghosts were imaginary, there were many wonders in the world, and even if she did not completely believe, she had reverence. The words on this token were extremely good. Jin Yang's health was a bit weak and if he had this token, it would reassure her.