Chapter 47

It was not a servant girl who inserted the last golden hairpin into Gu Ru Jiu's hair bun, but an old mistress of the capital with good fortune. The old mistress was more than eighty, and her skin covered in wrinkles, but it was still possible to see this was a pair of well-maintained hands.

"I hope that the bride will have a beautiful and strong love with her husband." The old mistress' hands trembled, but she pushed the hairpin in securely. She patted the trembling flying phoenix hairpin by Gu Ru Jiu's hair. "Miss has clear features, and will have good fortune in the future."

Gu Ru Jiu smiled. She detected this old person's goodwill and thanked her in a low murmur.

"This old one has lived so long, seen many people and many events, and presumes to have good foresight." The old mistress picked up a golden comb from a tray a servant girl held and lightly touched it in front of Gu Ru Jiu's forehead. "Gold and jade, a full hall, longevity and wealth."

She put down the golden comb and picked up a gold-embroidered red bag of incense. She hung it at Gu Ru Jiu's waist, "Good fortune to you, invincible to evil."

Then she picked up a jade scepter and lightly tapped it on Gu Ru Jiu's shoes. She said with a smile, "Thousands of flows of good energy, a hall filled with children and grandchildren."

After doing all this, a servant girl immediately helped the old mistress sit down on the side, presenting tea and pastries without daring to slack at all.

Yang shi went forward and curtsied towards the old mistress. "Old Mistress, you worked hard." She presented a red envelope with two hands.

The old mistress did not refuse and took the red envelope with a smile. "Blessing the empress is this one's honor. But the empress is someone with great fortune, and this old woman will be shameless in touching it a bit."

Her words were all very auspicious. Yang shi liked them greatly and grew even warmer towards her.

Gu Ru Jiu sat in front of the mirror and smiled as she listened to her mother and the old mistress talk.

Suddenly, the snap and pop of firecrackers came from the courtyard along with many voices. The sounds grew closer until they reached her gates.

She pressed her lips together, and slowly walked forward until she reached Yang shi.

Yang shi smiled with red-rimmed eyes as she looked at her daughter. She said softly, "After today, you are the empress of the Feng Dynasty, the mother of all people. You remember the family precepts of the Gu Family?"

"This daughter remembers." Gu Ru Jiu choked up. "Guard against pride and impatience, sacrifice oneself for the country. Do not be suspicious and jealous, do not listen to words that sow discord."

"Cultivate oneself for a harmonious family. A harmonious family leads to a country's governance. A country's governance leads to the peace of the world." Yang shi walked in front of her daughter and said with a smile, "My little daughter has finally grown up."

Gu Ru Jiu almost couldn't hold back her tears. She curtsied deeply to Yang shi. "This unfilial daughter bids farewell to Mother."

Yang shi stood there and accepted the greeting. After it was finished, she finally took the veil the old mistress handed over and slowly put it over her daughter's head.

Gu Ru Jiu watched the world turn red around her. The man about to marry her was composing a Bride Urging Poem outside the room.

"The Hundred Sons Tent ahead,

The Seven Incense Carriage behind,

May I ask if she has finished adorning herself,

Red clouds have come to the east."