Chapter 61

Dowager Consort trembled, hiding behind Gu Ru Jiu and unresponsive to Dowager Consort Qian's scolding. Her eyes were extremely wide, as though they were about to pop out the next moment.

"Not me, not me." Dowager Consort Sun suddenly pointed at Dowager Consort Qian and screamed, "It's you—you did it back then."

Boom.

After the lightning strike, a strong wind started, causing the leaves on the trees outside to rustle. Gu Ru Jiu freed her wrist from Dowager Consort Sun's grip and turned to look at Dowager Consort Qian.

Dowager Consort Qian's clothing was flapping in the wind, her hair pins swaying. Her lips were pressed tightly together, as though she was suppressing some emotion. But when Gu Ru Jiu looked over, her expression had gradually calmed.

"Your Majesty, Dowager Consort Sun had a nightmare, and her mind is muddled." Dowager Consort Qian walked in front of Gu Ru Jiu and curtsied. Gu Ru Jiu returned the greeting and said, "This palace sees Dowager Consort Sun is not in a good state. Come, send for the palace physician."

"Your Majesty." Dowager Consort Qian looked at Gu Ru Jiu and said with a serious expression, "Dowager Consort Sun is speaking nonsense. If this spreads, I fear this will damage the reputation of the imperial family."

"Dowager Consort Qian, do not worry. This will not spread." Gu Ru Jiu's gaze moved across everyone present in the hall. "If it spreads, everyone related to the matter will be sent to the Bureau of Punishment."

The palace attendants didn't dare to meet her gaze and all looked down.

"Send this palace's orders. Dowager Consort Sun caught the cold during the night—have the Academy of Palace Physicians send someone to examine her as soon as possible." Gu Ru Jiu finished making arrangements and had a palace maid be in charge of Dowager Consort Sun. Then she said to Dowager Consort Qian, "Dowager Consort Qian, how about we go somewhere else and talk? I fear there are too many people here, and it will not be good for Dowager Consort Sun's health."

Dowager Consort Qian looked at Dowager Consort Sun who was a bit abnormal and smiled insincerely. "Your Majesty is correct."

She followed behind Gu Ru Jiu to a side hall of Jingan Palace. The hall was brightly lit and not as cold as usual.

Thinking of this, she looked at Gu Ru Jiu in front of her. With this empress who had the emperor's sole favour, how would there be no fun? She laughed scornfully inside and sat under Gu Ru Jiu.

"Dowager Consort Qian." Gu Ru Jiu smiled. "You haven't slept yet so late?"

Dowager Consort Qian looked at Gu Ru Jiu whose hair was loose behind her back and touched the hairpins in her hair. She said with a smile, "When one gets old, their sleep is light and it's hard to sleep if there is any noise."

"This palace sees that Dowager Consort's appearance is very young." Gu Ru Jiu laughed softly. "How come you say you are old?"

"Women like us, even if not old in age, are old at heart." Dowager Consort Qian grimaced after a moment. "I will not hide from Your Majesty. I have been in the palace for decades, and I was the same age as you are now when I entered—but was not as lucky as you. I never received the previous emperor's favour. Before the night, I would always dress up solemnly and think, maybe the emperor will come see me at any time."

At this point, Dowager Consort Qian shook her head, seeming to feel that it was meaningless to mention those past matters. "These past matters are just jokes when spoken of now. But after some habits have formed, they cannot be changed."

Gu Ru Jiu was silent for a moment. She looked down at the teacup in her hand. "The past has already gone. Dowager Consort, do not worry too much about the past."