Chapter 89

The matter of the Chen Family making a fuss in the Gu Family to save their son was not kept a secret by the Chen Family. Therefore soon, it reached the ears of others. There were gossips who said that the Chen Family had ugly expressions when leaving the Gu Family and seemed dissatisfied.

In the eyes of outsiders, the Chen Family's conduct was over the line. The relationships between aristocratic families were back and forth. The Gu Family was kind, and had been taking care of the Chen Family unilaterally over the years. Now, the Chen Family's child had killed someone, and a member of the imperial family at that. No matter how capable the Gu Family was, they could not speak for the Chen Family on this matter.

With the two family at odds, the outsiders would only say the Chen Family was stupid, and that the Gu Family was too soft to not speak up when already so harassed. But no matter the point of view, no one felt the Gu Family was in the wrong.

As a brother-in-law, Gu Zhi Yu had done what he should do, and urged when he should urge. They were also not true brothers. He could neither beat nor scold the other. At this point, one could only blame the Chen Family for spoiling their child too much.

The Gu Family had not said bad things about the Chen Family at this point, but the Chen Family was dissatisfied and hated the Gu Family. People of the capital unconsciously distanced themselves from the Chen Family.

"Mistress, the rumors all say that the Chen Family did not teach their son well, and are greedy." The servant girl made up Yang shi's hair. "Do you think this looks good?"

Yang shi glanced at the mirror and nodded. "Yes."

"When Her Majesty sees you, she will be happy." The servant girl had served Yang shi for many years and knew how much Yang shi valued her children, so she picked good things to say.

"None of these children are worry-free." Yang shi sighed with a smile. She thought of the negative discussion regarding the Chen Family, and a hint of a sneer appeared on her lips.

As a woman of the inner courtyard, she had her means to teach someone a lesson.

"Mother, are you ready?" Gu Zhi Yu said warmly outside the door. "The carriage from the palace has come."

"Good." Yang shi stood up. Coming out of the room, she saw her son. She said with a smile, "How come you did not go to the ministry today?"

"This son will see Mother into the palace first," Gu Zhi Yu responded with a smile. "As long as Mother does not find this son troublesome."

"I do not mind my son opening the way." The smile on Yang shi's face rose. She walked out of the gates and before she boarded the carriage, she turned and looked with joy in her eyes as her son mounted the horse.

Her son had finally thought it through, and regained his former spirits.

The carriage from the ducal establishment passed by. The passersby moved aside. Some women saw Gu Zhi Yu on his horse and could not help but blush, covering their faces with their hand but also peeking through.

"That is Heir Gu—face like jade, eyes like stars." A miss from an official family whispered to her companion. "If I could ..." She suddenly covered her face. She said nothing, but her face was bright red.

"What are you thinking?" Her companion looked at her with a smile. "That is the imperial brother-in-law, the future inheritor of the dukedom. Even if he is marrying for the second time, it would not be our turn."

The miss knew that she should not have said what she just did and gave a silly smile to her companion. When she looked back down, the ducal carriage had moved far away.