Chapter 86

"Speak, who sent you?" He Ming crossed his legs and sat on the chair. He lazily took a sip of tea and glanced at the palace maid lying on the ground. His smile was scornful. Other palace maids got close to His Majesty possibly for glory and wealth, but the intentions of this one were hard to say.

At night, she walked copying Her Majesty's walking posture, and she knew where the emperor would appear. A normal palace maid could not do this.

The emperor was becoming more prestigious in the court, and many of the court had other thoughts. But some people tried to attract the emperor's attention, while others tried to send women into the palace.

In He Ming's view, these people that wanted to rely on nepotism to stabilize their positions were the shame of the aristocratic families. Even if such families could be glorious for a time, they could not always be so.

The palace maid on the ground did not move or speak. He Ming did not care. He put down his teacup, and raised his eyebrows. "If you are not willing, fine. Fortunately, some of the punishment eunuchs will have more chances to practice their skills."

The palace maid convulsed. Clearly, He Ming's words evoked some painful memories in her mind, and she unconsciously reacted.

Seeing her like this, He Ming showed a hint of a smile. He seemed very satisfied that she was like this. "Fine, let's do this. This one has no free time to waste words with you."

The eunuchs standing at the side nodded and bowed as they saw He Ming out of the Bureau of Careful Conduct. Turning back to the palace maid, they had cruel joy on their faces.

They were very happy this beautiful woman had landed in their hands.

##

"Your Majesty." He Ming returned to the imperial study, and bowed to Jin Yang. Bai Xian, who had been grinding ink for Jin Yang, looked up and glanced at him.

"Confessed?" Jin Yang asked without even looking up.

"This servant is useless." He Ming apologized humbly. "This palace maid is very close-mouthed. The person behind her must have something against her."

"It is not important who is behind her. What is important is that this Purple Imperial Hall needs to be cleaned from the inside to the outside." Jin Yang looked at He Ming. "Zhen wants the empress safe!"

"Your Majesty, please do not worry. This servant has investigated the ancestors, relatives and friends of everyone serving the empress. No one suspicious can come near the empress." He Ming knew how much the emperor valued the empress and her child. So he had worked very hard for the safety of the empress.

"That is good." Jin Yang put down the brush, and exhaled deeply. "It seems to have been very long since Zhen has gone to the Palace of Cautious Conduct?"

He Ming unconsciously straightened.

##

The Palace of Cautious Conduct was still dilapidated. When Jin Yang walked into the palace, he smelled the musty odor and frowned.

Qi Lian, unkempt, saw Jin Yang come in, and reacted after a moment. "Your Honored Majesty, how is it you have come to a dirty place like this?"

Qi Lian did not look like the minister of a country now. His face was dirty, his hair oily, and his clothing were unrecognizable. He looked no different from a beggar on the street.

"Take him for a bath and a change of clothes." Jin Yang frowned and then said, "Zhen will come again in the afternoon."

Qi Lian wanted to say a few mocking words, but thinking that there was a rare chance to bathe, he swallowed his words. He feared causing Jin Yang's displeasure, and having this rare chance fly away.