Chapter 39

After this awkward event, the ladies present pretended nothing had happened, in order to maintain the families' faces. Mistress Wu's expression was not good. While she managed to keep up a small smile, everyone could see she was not quite happy. In the capital, while the Wu Family was not as prestigious as the Sima and Li families, they were still famed, and had great reputation in their ancestral Fan Prefecture.

The Wu misses had been raised with great care. So seeing her daughter schemed against by the Sima Third Branch, Mistress Wu was naturally not very happy. Fortunately, she remembered that this was the empress dowager's birthday, and managed to swallow her anger.

Li Wu shi who had not spoken much suddenly laughed softly. "Lady Sima's niece is a rare beauty."

The mistress of the eldest Sima branch was from a prestigious and noble background, the Zheng Family of Qinlin Prefecture. The Zheng Family had produced many people who had been recorded in the history books. Zheng shi's father was a scholar revered by many other students, and even though the Zheng Family resided in Qinlin Prefecture, Zheng shi had a lot of reputation among the women.

Once Li Wu shi started to speak, Zheng shi knew the other was mocking her but still smiled politely and responded, "The third branch has raised her well."

At these words, the ladies present immediately understood. The eldest branch was discontent with the third branch. Otherwise, why would they say such a thing and not mention Li Wu shi's words?

Yang shi watched the conflict between the Li and Sima families coldly. She bent her head to blow softly at the tea leaves on the surface.

At the side, Mistress Chen looked at the Sima family members, sneered, and then walked to the back of the hall. When she thought of her daughter and unborn grandson killed by the Sima Family, she felt so disgusted she could throw up.

Yang shi saw her in-law leave and turned to say a few words to Duchess Yang before following.

When she walked to the back of the hall, Yang shi heard Chen shi's daughter-in-law comforting her. She hesitated and did not follow. Chen shi's death was the Chen Family and Gu Family's pain. The Chen Family may not want to see the Gu Family.

This was not because the Chen Family was unreasonable, but people's emotions were sometimes not controlled by their logic. Maybe the Chen Family would think that the Gu Family had not taken good care of Chen shi, or it would have been good if the Gu Family hadn't allowed Chen shi to go to Five Estates Temple.

In reality, she had thought of this. That day, if only she hadn't agreed to Chen shi going to Five Estates Temple. Then, Chen shi would not have died, and her son would not be grieving and depressed now.

On her seat, Gu Ru Jiu looked worriedly at the empty seat that her mother should be in. She only sighed in relief when she saw Yang shi return to her seat.

The empress dowager saw her inattention when sitting next to her and said, "I know you miss your mother. Go get her tea and pastries."

"Aunt, don't be angry. I also want to pour you tea." Gu Ru Jiu stood up, made a new cup of tea for the empress dowager before bobbing a curtsy. "This subject will do as you say and go serve my mother tea."

The empress dowager saw this, and was both amused and exasperated. She waved her hand and said, "Go, go."

Seeing Gu Ru Jiu leave, the empress dowager's smile did not fade. She turned and said to Jin Yang, "You know what I like the most about Jiu Jiu?"

Jin Yang had been peeking at Gu Ru Jiu's back. Hearing the empress dowager's words, he stilled and then said, "In this son's view, Junior Sister is good in all aspects."