Chapter 46

"Official Gu, please wait," He Ming trotted forward and bowed to Gu Cun Jing.

"He Gonggong." Gu Cun Jing stopped in his steps and raised his hands in a bow. "Is something the matter?" He had just finished his shift and was preparing to return home. He didn't know why He Ming had stopped him.

"Apologies for the disturbance." He MIng squeezed out a smile. "His Majesty is inviting you to Purple Imperial Hall for tea. Official, please do not refuse." If this was anyone else, He Ming only had to say that His Majesty had summons, but this was the brother of the future empress and valued greatly by His Majesty. He had to be measured.

"So that's why. Thank you, Gonggong for making the trip." Gu Cun Jing smiled politely at He Ming and walked in the direction of Purple Imperial Hall.

Gu Cun Jing had a candid personality, but he was well-mannered and considerate. Even facing an eunuch official like He Ming, he would not posture like an aristocratic young master, and embarrass him.

As an eunuch serving the emperor personally, He Ming had seen all kinds of faces before. There were those polite on the surface and disdainful inside. There were those that tried to gain favor. There were also those that never looked properly at him from beginning to end. But these important people from the Gu Family never postured towards servants like him and made him feel at ease.

Minister Gu, Lady Gu, Heir Gu, Second Master Gu, and County Princess Changyan were people he had received in person. After meeting them, he understood why the Gu Family had managed to remain standing although they did not have many members.

Conducting themselves with integrity was a good advantage.

Entering Purple Imperial Hall, Gu Cun Jing was halfway through his bow to Jin Yang when he was called up. But he still persisted in finishing the greeting. "Your Majesty, you summoned this subject for..."

"Official Gu, please drink tea first." Jin Yang had Gu Cun Jing sit, and then a palace servant served him tea. "Today, Official Gu has been summoned to chat about family matters."

Gu Cun Jing put down the teacup he was served and said with a stern expression, "Your Majesty, please speak."

"Official Gu, no need to be so serious. According to the common folk, you are my older brother-in-law, and family members do not have to be so strict." Jin Yang coughed. "I just wanted to ask, has Jiu Jiu been well recently? Last time when she visited the palace, I saw she was much thinner. Has she been resting well?"

Gu Cun Jing laughed inside. My sister hasn't married yet—don't be in such a hurry to claim a relationship.

But he would only think those thoughts, and would never voice them.

"My sister has been well recently." Gu Cun Jing lifted his head and saw His Majesty looking at him with a burning gaze. He added, "Maybe, because she is in a good mood, she has been eating more recently."

Jin Yang immediately smiled and then said, "The vassal countries have given some fruit in tribute. If Brother-in-law doesn't mind, please take some back to taste."

Bai Xian walked in with a package of fruits, and stood behind Gu Cun Jing in a bow.

It was already winter, and fresh fruits and vegetables were not common. Gu Cun Jing was not stupid. He knew that Jiu Jiu liked eating fruits and vegetables. Now, His Majesty was having him bring these back. Having him take a taste was fake, gifting Jiu Jiu fruit was true.

His Majesty thinking of his sister was a good thing. Gu Cun Jing gave thanks, and returned to the Gu Family with a large bag of fruit. He went directly to the small courtyard his younger sister lived in.