Chapter 97

Part Two

As an emperor, one should be most wary of being indecisive and soft-hearted. Jin Yang was very different from the previous emperor. So after he started to govern on his own, his reputation in court grew. Adding on that the vassal princes had submitted and the aristocratic families had lost power, Great Feng became the world of imperial power.

"Greetings, Father-Emperor." The crown prince, aged twelve, walked into the imperial study. He saw his father buried there reviewing memorandums, his eldest maternal uncle and Prime Minister Zhang standing below. He went up and bowed to Jin Yang.

Zhang Zhong Han and Gu Zhi Yu bowed to the crown prince.

"Ning En has come?" Jin Yang saw his oldest son, put down the brush, and beckoned to Jin Ning En.

Jin Ning En walked next to Jin Yang and saw his father-emperor shove a memorandum into his hand.

"Father-Emperor?" Jin Ning En looked in puzzlement at Jin Yang and then at the memorandum.

"The Bian Prefecture Governor's law clerk broke the law, but people have asked Zhen to punish him lightly because he once did good deeds. Ning En, what do you think?" Jin Yang looked at Jin Ning En with a small smile.

"This son thinks that good deeds should be rewarded and crimes should be punished. He was promoted and rewarded by Father-Emperor for doing good things, and should be punished for doing bad things. These two are not in conflict with each other." Jin Ning En thought. "This son thinks that the punishment should be light."

"Yes." Jin Yang nodded, took back the memorandum, and wrote a few things.

Jin Ning En looked, and saw that Father-Emperor had refused the other's request.

"You have seen your mother today?" Jin Yang asked about family matters after reviewing the memorandums.

"Father-Emperor is wise; this son is just preparing to go find Mother-Empress." Jin Ning En smiled as he bowed, thinking that when he had walked halfway, He Ming had found him.

"Then go. If your mother-empress knows I intercepted you halfway, she will talk to me." Jin Yang smiled warmly at him, but he did not purposefully act as emperor and senior, making the child embarrassed.

"Yes." Jin Ning En bowed and left. Before leaving, he bowed to Gu Zhi Yu and Zhang Zhong Han with the bow of a junior.

Zhang Zhong Han looked at Jin Ning En's back and could not help but sigh inside. Such a beautiful and elegant crown prince—he had some shade of His Majesty in his youth. He turned and saw Gu Zhi Yu had a satisfied expression so he said, "Your Majesty, His Highness the Crown Prince is young, but has the style of Your Majesty back then."

He knew that His Majesty had put great care into teaching the two imperial sons. Even normal fathers could not do better with their children. This was very rare in the imperial family.

"Prime Minister Zhang, do not praise him. Zhen and his mother-empress have spoiled him," Jin Yang said with a smile. Although his tone was derogatory, he had great paternal love in his expression.

Zhang Zhong Han could not help but think of the treatment His Majesty had received back in Prince Cheng's establishment. Maybe because Prince Cheng had been too cold and ignored His Majesty back then, His Majesty was so attentive to the empress and their children.

Gu Zhi Yu also valued his nephew the crown prince greatly and showed a small smile upon hearing the emperor say this.

Jin Ning En left the imperial study and went to Purple Imperial Hall. When he entered, he saw his mother-empress admiring the dancers as they performed, clapping with the beat, leisurely and content.