Chapter 70

Because Hu Xi was from an aristocratic family, even if she did not frequently visit the palace, she had still visited a few times over the years. But this was the first time she entered the palace riding a carriage. For the first time, she discovered the guards and eunuchs could have such good attitudes.

The carriage entered from the Vermillion Bird Gates. The guards just asked a few questions, and then let them in. After entering the palace, the carriage travelled for a while and then she heard an eunuch's voice from ahead.

"Mistress Hu, Miss Hu, the Purple Imperial Hall is ahead. Please leave the carriage."

Hu Qi stepped on a stool and came down from the carriage with the support of a servant girl. She saw the surroundings were filled with fake mountains and flora. There was a bamboo forest nearby that felt extremely secluded and beautiful.

"Greetings." During her momentary daze, an eunuch in a blue robe walked in front of mother and daughter. He first bowed and then said, "Please follow this servant. The empress is waiting for you."

"Thank you, Gonggong." Mistress Hu saw that this eunuch seemed to be the one with the emperor, Bai Xian, and smiled politely at him in response to seeing him come in person to lead the way.

"No, no, you are too polite." Bai Xian bowed to the two and then led them towards the Purple Imperial Hall, slightly bowing. He would not be so polite to ordinary people, but this Mistress Hu was in-laws with the Gu Family. He also heard that this Miss Hu was marrying into the empress' maternal family. The relationship was very close.

Hu Xi smiled upon hearing Bai Xian so polite but did not dare to ask more, quietly following behind him towards Purple Imperial Hall.

Ever since Great Feng was founded, the Qiankun Palace was the residential palace of the emperor. But the emperors had different preferences, so they lived in different palace halls. The previous emperor liked to live in Qingzhao Hall when he was alive, and Qingzhao Hall had been the most luxurious one in Qiankun Palace. After this emperor took the throne, he did not seem to like the style of Qingzhao Hall. Maybe because the dowager empress arranged for him to live in Purple Imperial Hall, so after he settled in, he never moved.

Outside Purple Imperial Hall, white jade made up the stairs. The imperial guard stood guard on the outer perimeter, the dragon guards on the inner perimeter. There was almost one guard every step, and Purple Imperial Hall was securely guarded.

Stepping onto the jade stairs, Hu Xi could even sense the coldness coming from the blades the dragon guards carried. She could not help but think, would Jiu Jiu feel pressure living in this environment all the time?

"Woosh." When they were near the door, the dragon guards with hands on their blades took a step back in unison. The sound, because they moved in synchronicity, had an unspeakable shock despite its quiet volume.

She couldn't help but look at these dragon guards. She suddenly thought of her brother who was the vice-captain. These people were Brother's colleagues?

"Mistress, Miss—please wait for a moment." Bai Xian bowed to the two and then entered the hall to report. A short while later, he walked out with a smile. "Please, quickly enter."

Hu Xi stepped into the hall and saw the outer hall was carefully decorated. The palace maids and eunuchs were all standing with their gazes and heads lowered. Seeing them enter, they did not even bat an eyelid. It could be seen how severe the rules of the palace were.

Entering the hall, she saw a woman in a beautiful robe sitting at the front. Her stiff smile immediately grew more sincere. She was about to bow when a palace maid dressed like a female official stopped her.