Chapter 95

In the spring of the twelfth year of Delong, the Delong Emperor sent a decree establishing the six-year-old eldest son as the crown prince, and he pardoned the world. This action caused all of Great Feng to see how much the emperor valued the crown prince.

Before the crown prince had been established, Gaoluo had invaded Great Feng, but Great Feng's generals seemed to be blessed and knew the movements of the Gaoluo armies, defeating them steadily until they managed to capture the Gaoluo crown prince and the other imperial sons. Gaoluo was greatly embarrassed.

Gaoluo suffered great losses, and the crown prince and imperial sons were captured. Helpless, they could only send a letter of surrender to Great Feng, and after signing a lot of humiliating treaties, they managed to ransom back their crown prince and imperial sons.

After this, Gaoluo would not have the ability to invade Great Feng for a few centuries, and their awe and terror of Great Feng would be imprinted in their bones.

Yang Chui Wen, as the heir to a duke, the first-ranked in the imperial examination of the sixth year of Delong, gradually established himself in court after being an official for five or six years. He became the most prominent person among the younger generation.

Back in his early years, there had been the young masters of the Sima and Li families. But as the Sima Families closed their doors, and the Li Family was sentenced and exiled, he appeared above his peers.

Coming out of the Ministry of Rites, he encountered Gu Zhi Yu, the Minister of Revenue. He was just a minor official in his ministry, and naturally had to bow to the Minister of Revenue.

If he was outstanding among the younger generation, then Gu Zhi Yu was the best in their age group. Entered court at seventeen, assistant minister of Revenue at twenty-eight, Minister of Revenue at thirty-four. He had risen step by step.

History had recorded first-ranked examinees in the imperial examination aged twelve, and prime ministers aged seven, but they were all once-in-a-century occurrences. People like Gu Zhi Yu were very rare. Also, he was well trusted by His Majesty, and he was capable. Even if people were jealous of him, when they saw Gu Zhi Yu, they all had smiles and carefully flattered him.

Yang Chui Wen had no desire to curry favor, but felt admiration.

"This lowly official greets Official Gu." He was willing to bow.

"Official Gu." Gu Zhi Yu was a civil official but he was riding a horse. He smiled and returned the greeting when he saw Yang Chui Wen. "Such a coincidence."

More than six years had passed. This person had once been young, and had Mistress Hu come to propose marriage. So many years had passed. The unworried youth had become a steady young man.

"Yes." Yang Chui Wen smiled, a hint of melancholy in his features. "A coincidence."

There were not many interactions between the two. They really did not have much to say.

"I heard the position of the left assistant minister of Rites has opened up." Gu Zhi Yu raised his folded hands to Yang Chui Wen. "I will congratulate Official Yang for your promotion first."

Yang Chui Wen stilled. He clearly did not expect the usually steady Gu Zhi Yu to easily say such things.

"Official Yang, do not mind—tomorrow, your documents will come." Seeing Yang Chui Wen like this, Gu Zhi Yu guessed that he felt restrained inside and spoke clearly. "Just now, I accidentally saw your documents, so I said such a thing."

"Thank you, Official, for telling me." Yang Chui Wen accepted Gu Zhi Yu's goodwill and bowed to the other.

"Official Yang is too polite." Gu Zhi Yu smiled. He looked at the sky, and bowed. "It is late; I will bid farewell."