Chapter 67

Jin Yang slammed the teacup in his hand on the desk with a "bang." He had brought Jiu Jiu here in order to revisit the past, so Jiu Jiu could relax. Now, there was this scholar saying nonsense, and this was such a disappointment.

Yesterday, the imperial censor's news had passed into the inner palace. Jiu Jiu appeared not to care, but how could he not see that Jiu Jiu's mood had been affected by this matter?

Before he governed on his own, the empress dowager had arranged teachers for him. But most of these teachers were restrained or very ambitious. Some tried to fool him, some tried to deliberately curry favour, and some people, in fear of taking responsibility, did not dare to say an extra word or take an extra step. Among all these teachers, only Gu Chang Ling treated him as a true emperor and also a student. Gu Chang Ling was never rude when he should be respectful, and never turned a blind eye because he was the emperor when he should be harsh.

He really had not wanted to consent to Gu Chang Ling's retirement. In reality, he also knew why Gu Chang Ling had made such a choice. For the Gu Family and Jiu Jiu's peace of mind, he could only bear the pain and agree. His two brothers-in-law were talented, but they lacked experience. After getting experience, they would become great officials of Great Feng.

As an emperor, one could not trust others blindly, but one could not always live in suspicion either.

"Your Majesty, this scholar is just wild because he is young. Do not be angry because of him." Gu Ru Jiu saw him so angry and became less angry herself. "Even if he does not say such words today, other people will say so the next day. If one is not talked about, then they are mediocre. Even gold and silver are disdained by others as smelling like copper, much less the Gu Family that is not as attractive as gold and silver."

"How can you compare your own family to such material things?" Jin Yang was both exasperated and amused. He turned to speak to Gu Cun Jing, "If Zhen had not persisted in marrying Jiu Jiu, the in-laws would not have been treated unjustly now. This is Zhen's fault."

The dragon guards at the neighboring table were startled inside. How much did His Majesty trust the Gu Family to say such things?

"It is the Gu Family's good fortune that Your Majesty trusts this subject's family. How can this be Your Majesty's fault?" Gu Cun Jing immediately stood up and bowed. "It is this subject's family who has not done well enough, so the people of the world feel doubt. But this subject believes one's heart will be seen over time. Today, they do not believe the Gu Family's loyalty. Tomorrow, the day after, if this subject's family will not change, the world will believe us one day."

"Good." Jin Yang stood up and walked in front of Gu Cun Jing, reaching out to pat his shoulder. "You spoke well. Zhen believes the history books will have records of Zhen and the Gu Family subjects."

"Your Majesty is wise!" Hu Yun Qi was the first to stand up. The other dragon guards were a step late, but perceptively agreed, and praised the emperor's wisdom and the Gu Family's loyalty.

Not to mention that the Gu Family did not have such great ambitions—just from the emperor's feelings for the empress, they knew what attitude they should hold towards this matter.

"Call in those scholars who talk so highly—Zhen wants to see what stunningly talented people dare to gossip about Zhen's in-laws." Jin Yang was in a much better mood. He sat back next to Gu Ru Jiu, and then had Bai Xian take two dragon guards to call people from downstairs.

Gu Ru Jiu poured a new cup of tea for him and whispered, "What is there to see?" It was not that she looked down on scholars, but people who talked so arrogantly in a place where important people gathered would definitely not be true talents.