Chapter 40

"Your Majesty, the Gu Family did not agree to the proposal from Duke Yang's family." Hu Yun Qi was almost dumbfounded by His Majesty's response. He had guessed long ago that His Majesty had some form of feeling for Younger Sister Gu, but had not expected it to be so deep. He and his wife had been married due to their parents. While they were not connected at the hip, they had mutual respect, and never fought with each other. To sons of aristocratic families like him, being able to have a marital relationship like this was satisfactory.

He could not understand going crazy for love, and could not do it. In his view, feelings were illusory. They were written about in books, discussed by people, but were intangible things.

While he could not understand, this did not mean he would dismiss other people's feelings. So seeing Jin Yang so angry and his face so pale, he didn't dare to delay and immediately told what he knew to His Majesty. "Your Majesty, the Gu Family thinks their daughter is too young and subtly refused my mother's offer." Hu Yun Qi was worried now if His Majesty would blame the Hu Family. If he had known his mother would help the Duke of Yang as a matchmaker, he would have definitely stopped her.

"You say that the Gu Family has no intentions of a marriage with the Duke of Yang's family?" Jin Yang leaned against the table, coughing, his pale face giving off a sickly red.

Hu Yun Qi wanted to say that the Gu Family had refused the proposal but it didn't mean that Yang Chui Wen had no chance. If the Yang Family was shameless enough, and Yang Chui Wen could gain Younger Sister Gu's affections, this matter may still succeed. But seeing His Majesty like this, Hu Yun Qi did not dare to say such things. "Since the Gu Family has refused my mother's matchmaking for the Duke Yang's family, I think that they have no intentions of a marriage. Duke Yang's family are famed in the capital. While the Gu Family has refused subtly, with the Yang Family's status, they would not be so shameless as to ask again. So the marriage will not succeed."

After Hu Yun Qi's words, Jin Yang slowly calmed down. After he completely calmed down, he looked at Hu Yun Qi who was standing with his head low. He said seriously, "Yun Qi, do you know why Zhen is not willing for Junior Sister to marry into the Yang Family?"

You are this excited—what other reason could there be?

Hu Yun Qi bowed and said, "Your Majesty treats County Princess Changyan like a family member and naturally wants to pick the best for her."

A wife was also a family member. Hu Yun Qi felt that his usage of the term was very appropriate.

"You are right. Zhen is not willing to have Junior Sister marry into the Yang Family." Jin Yang looked at the messy table, put his hands behind his back, and a determined smile appeared on his slightly sickly face. "A family member should be protected."

Hu Yun Qi sighed in relief. It seemed that His Majesty's attention was not on the Hu Family.

"Right, the Mistress Hu who helped Duke Yang's family this time is your mother?" Jin Yang looked at Hu Yun Qi without any expression. Or rather, even if he was displeased by this matter, he would not blame the innocent Hu Family for it. Although he was the monarch, he was not a tyrant who did as he pleased.

"Your Majesty, it was my mother." Hu Yun Qi glanced at Jin Yang's expression and could not see anything. He could only say, "My mother's surname is Yang, and she is the cousin to Duke Yang. Considering the marital relationship between the Hu and Gu families, Duke Yang asked my mother to make this trip."

"So that is how it is. It appears your family is on good terms with the Gu Family?" Jin Yang casually asked.

It was normal for marital ties to exist between aristocratic families. So Hu Yun Qi did not worry that Jin Yang would overthink. He said, "My younger sister is Cun Jing's wife, so our relationship is close."