Chapter One

The bell rang throughout the school as a girl, merely 16 years old, ran down the hallway to the exit. She had a light gray hoodie on with baggy jeans and old sneakers. Her hair was long with a light black color, which was in a loose ponytail. Her eyes were a dark hazel color. Freckles was all over her face.

Three other people chased her as she ran, she was faster than them. "Get back here Martha!" one of the boys yelled.

"Not a chance Lance!" Martha yelled back.

She was mostly an average student, but she had the mouth of a pirate sometimes. Anyone that knew her, knew her dad's past and how he had died. A tornado.

With all the stories about him, told by her mom, all the deadly things he went through, he had died in the most ridiculous way.

Martha had promised herself she would go down in the most awesomest way possible, surviving in the military once she turns 18. She'll definitely do that one day, but not today. Once she got away from the assholes that were chasing her, she took deep breaths.

Running was good for you, she was okay with sports that involve running, like basketball for example, that involved a lot of running and maneuvering. When she caught her breath she started walking home, happy as ever.

Martha was listening to her music as she walked, humming the lyrics to herself as always. Her life was practically normal, which kinda bored her at times, but her family was content with living a normal life.

No robots included. Martha had seen posters of them around the area at times, but now they were painted over or torn down. That was when she was either 12 or 13, she couldn't remember.

It was a while until she got home, it was a small brick house with a wooden fence around the front yard. It was nice to live in. She walked down the small patch of stepping stones leading to the front door. She opened it to smell the sweetest smell ever, brownies baking.

"Mom, I'm home!" Martha yelled out as her mother, a tallish woman with blondish brown hair tied into a messy bun, looked at her with a smile.

Her name was Carly, she was from the UK but adjusted to living where she is now.

"Hello Martha." Her mom said, hugging her a bit.

"The brownies smell amazing!" Martha said, looking at her.

"Why thank you! I put a lot of work into them after getting them from the store!" She said, then they both laughed a bit.

"Regardless! They do smell amazing!"

Carly smiled at her, looking at all the features she had. "You look so much like him." She said, smailing again.

"I know."

They looked at each other then started to do their own things, Carly in the kitchen cleaning up the empty dinner plates and Martha in her room listening to music and doing her homework. She focused on her music mostly, singing to the music that was playing to herself. She had taken off her jeans and shirt, which in her books were uncomfortable. She was now wearing gray sweatpants and a large white nightshirt.

She looked outside for a moment, nothing on the street as usual at this time of the day. She spun clumsy on her foot, dancing a bit now. She looked outside again, then turned away then stopped. She went to the window of her room and looked out to see an ambulance there.

It was light green with white and orange. The body of the vehicle was all light green as the two life things on each side of it were white and orange. The lights on it were an unusual light blue, as if someone made a design flaw on it.

Martha continued to look at it, questioning if she should tell her mom or ignore it for now. When she was deciding she heard her name being called from down stairs.

"Martha!"

She jumped a bit, turning her music off and rushing down stairs. "Yes mom?" She asked as Carly looked at her.

"Could you take the trash out?" She asked.

Martha was hesitant this time, she usually had no problem taking the trash out but seeing the strange vehicle out there had her kinda on edge. Her mother quickly took note of this as she eyed her daughter.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked, putting her hands on Martha's shoulders.

"What, no! There's nothing wrong at all, I'm just tired, that's all!" Martha said in a hurry, looking her mom in the eyes.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

Carly eyed her for a bit as Martha moved over to the trash and took the bag out. Martha would check out the thing outside and decide what to do from there. She slowly walked to the door, opening it slowly as she turned the porch light on.

She stepped out into the night filled air, the coldness grasping at her arms. The door closed behind her, she paid no mind to it as she walked to the trash can. Her eyes were focused on the ambulance. It seemed normal, nothing out of place.

She looked around to see if anyone was taking a midnight stroll, but none were out. She put the garbage bag in the trash can, then slowly crossed the street to the vehicle.

Once she was on the other side, she looked closely at the vehicle. It still seemed normal, too normal for Martha's taste.

"Okay car, what are you hiding?" She asked it, as if it would answer her.

She patted the hood of it, cold. She looked at the wheels, they were wheel shaped. She tried to look under it, but she couldn't see much.

She sighed as she got up. Paranoia, it's just paranoia. She thought as she walked back to the house.

Then there was a sound, it sounded like someone signed in relief. Martha snapped her vision back to the ambulance.

"Okay, there's no one else here!" She yelled at the vehicle. "I know you did that sigh!"

The vehicle stayed still as Martha stepped towards it. Then light showed on her. She put her arms up to block the light.

Martha looks through the light to see a 2022 GMC Sierra. It was all black with the same light blue lights.

It rev its engine at Martha as she looked at it. She looked at her home then ran to the gate as the truck came slowly towards her. The gate closed and she ran to the door, closing it. She locked it as she looked out the window at the two vehicles.

The truck engine was still revving as the ambulance was powered with life, it did a U-Turn as it followed the truck down the empty street.

Martha continued to look outside until the two vehicles were gone.

"Thank you, Martha!" Her mom said as Martha turned away from the window and went upstairs yelling back. "You're welcome, goodnight!"

"Goodnight, Sweetheart!"

Once she got to her room she turned off the light and got into bed, staring at the ceiling of her room. Her thoughts were like a maze, why did that truck rev at her and why was that ambulance there in the first place?

She sat up, grabbed her phone and looked something up. She watched videos of the past on YouTube. The videos that people caught at the time her dad was still in high school.

And all were almost the same, explosions around and silhouettes of giant things in the smoke.

Martha exited out of it and layed back down. More thoughts ran through her head as she drifted off to sleep.

She closed her eyes, thinking of what those vehicles were. But those were the last thoughts for tonight.