Chapter Twenty-two

Hours passed, everything was quiet. The kids in one room Jazz in another, the two finally got some alone time again. Chatting, joking, and a few pecks, everything was coming back to normal. There were rare times that things happened, nothing that was inappropriate.

This was one of those times, at midnight. The two were just cuddling, a purr was heard as the holoform of Ratchet held his partner, who was also in holoform. Ironhide did this when he was content, almost like a cat. Ironhide had his eyes closed, sleeping soundly and on the verge of snoring.

The two were dressed appropriately in this human form of themselves, Ironhide just wearing sweatpants and a dark red shirt while Ratchet had an oversize sweater and sweatpants.

Ratchet enjoyed the purring, it brought comfort and a side that he got to see in times like this. Ratchet looked at him, with a soft sighed, he cuddled more into Iron and left a peck on the bridge of his nose. There was a squeak that made Ratchet stifle a laugh.

“Stooopppp!” Ironhide wined with a laugh, grumbling from being awoken. This made Ratchet chuckle as he continued to look at him.

“But it’s adorable!” Ratchet said, his dark blues shining with happiness.

There was a huff of laughter and annoyance. “It’s embarrassing…” Ironhide then looked at him with his now opened eyes, the darkness of the room made their light blue markings glow. He then put a hand to Ratchet’s face, gently grazing his thumb on the markings under his eye. “Honestly, those markings right there,” Ironhide said, with the purring coming right back. “Are amazing on you.”

“You’re still as cheesy as I remember.” Ratchet huffed in laughter then cuddled into him more. “And thank you.”

Ironhide smiled, then left a peck on his head and after an hour he fell asleep still hugging his partner and cuddling him. In those hours asleep, it felt like minutes passed, then there was a thump on the floor as Ironhide yelped out. “OW FUCK!”

With the sudden noise, Ratchet woke up quickly, sat up, and looked over the side of the bed to look at him. “I’m sorry!” He said quickly as Ironhide took a moment to collect his thoughts and got up. “I didn’t mean to hog the bed!”

“Bullshit.” Ironhide said, looking at his partner with a teasing look. “You did it on purpose.”

Ratchet looked at him, blowing some of the holoform hair out of his face. “I was asleep! I can’t control my sleep patterns.” He said, annoyance in his voice. He was now sitting on the side of the bed, still looking at Ironhide.

Ironhide huffed in amusement, then sat down next to him, putting his hand on Ratchet’s hand. Ratchet sighed with a smile, then leaned against him, putting his head on the other’s shoulder.

“You know I’m picking on you, right?” Ironhide said. Ratchet nodded, looking at him. “I love every little aspect of you.”

“I'm in the same boat too.” Ratchet said. “But, you’re still an asshole.”

“How dare you!” Ironhide said, acting offended by the comment. “I am not an asshole!” Ratchet started to chuckle at him as he smiled. “Since you called me that then you’re smartass.”

“Excuse me? I’m not a smartass, I just know how to talk to people with a sarcastic tone.”

“That’s what a smartass is!”

“How would you know?”

Ironhide looked at him, then left a peck on Ratchet’s cheek which made his face go red and the markings glow blighty. “Don’t do that!” Ratchet then yelped, hiding his face in the sweater.

"I know because I was around you most of the time." Ironhide said, still looking at Ratchet. He kissed the top of his partner's head that was exposed then got up. "Now c'mon, the others must be awake by now." Gesturing at the alarm clock that was next to the bed that read 7:30 am.

Ratchet huffed then got up, stretching as he did so.

After a few minutes the two came out of the room hand in hand. They talked to each other as Martha came out of the room, stretching and yawning.

"Morning!" She said, then walked to the elevators. "Jason and Asher are already down at breakfast! Catch up with you guys later!"

“Alright, just be careful. We don’t know if they found us or anything.” Ironhide said, looking at Martha as she put a thumbs up to him.

“On it!” She said then disappeared when the doors closed. The two looked at each other and continued down the hallway, talking quietly.

Other humans were out of their rooms as well. Some were tired, others were fully awake, and the rest were more so in the middle or were still in their rooms asleep. Some were getting ready to leave, bringing luggage out and putting it in the hallway for one to watch it.

Ironhide huffed in amusement as a woman danked her coffee then started to panic, saying ‘Hot! Hot!’ as the male with started to chuckle at her. “I did say to wait for it to cool down.” he said as the woman hit him in the arm in response.

They walked by the human couple as Ratchet continued to talk to him, it had already evolved into a rant. Ironhide just listened and squeezed his hand from time to time.

Once they got to the end of the hallway they started down the stairs, it wasn’t as confining as an elevator was when going in. it was mostly why Ironhide avoided being in there, it felt like the walls were going to close in at any moment.

“Iron?” Ratchet said.

“Yeah?” Ironhide responded, looking at his partner.

“Should we go get Jazz?” Ratchet asked, looking back at him. “I just have this feeling that he’s-”

“I can go get him.” Ironhide said, cutting him off. “It wouldn’t be a problem. I could go up and get him.” Ratchet gave him the skeptical look that he knew all too well. “I’ll be quick, I promise.”

“Iron…” Ratchet was saying but stopped and sighed. “Okay, just be quick or I’ll leave you both behind.”

Ironhide chuckled at this and kissed his cheek. “I’ll be back before you can say…..”

“Say what?”

“I got nothing.”

Ironhide then went back up as Ratchet continued downstairs.