Chapter 70 - The Children

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

AN: Many says that the story has become a horror... Well? Things happen...( ꈍᴗꈍ)

Althea Melody (POV)

I woke up to a grim sight. As I opened my eyes, I found myself surrounded by nothing but decay and ruin.

(Where am I??)

(The only thing I remember—)

"Oh... That bitch hit the back of my neck, and I didn't even see it coming," I muttered to myself as I rubbed the sore spot at the back of my neck. I searched desperately for a way out, but even the windows were locked tight.

(I really can't get out... Where the heck am I??)

Then I noticed that there was a small hole.

(Should I try to peek through them??)

Taking a hesitant step forward, I decided to peer through one of the holes. What I saw made my blood run cold.

"W-What... Are those corpses on the other side of the room!?" I gasped in horror, staring wide-eyed at the wall with the small hole.

(There were so many corpses in that room...)

(I-I...)

(Was that crazy woman the one who murdered all those people???)

(Is she planning to kill me too??)

(For what reason???)

(There must be a reason, right?!)

"J-Just what kind of horrific monster is that woman to kill so many people? There are even corpses just laying on the floor," I whispered to myself as I got up, trembling with fear from what I had just witnessed.

"I need to get out of here first..." I said, looking around desperately, but all I could see were windows sealed with hard wood.

(I have to find another way...)

I took a deep breath and tried to calm my racing heart. I needed to think clearly. There had to be another way out.

I began to search the room more thoroughly, feeling the walls for any sign of weakness or hidden passages.

(Stay calm, Althea. You can do this...)

I stepped closer to the window and saw the sun was setting.

(It's getting dark.)

(Are those children from the orphanage going to appear again? Like Maddie and the others told me?)

(What will happen to me then?)

(I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared.)

(Even if I said it was an amazing but scary story...)

(It's really a lie if I said I didn't feel fear after hearing such scary stories.)

(I mean, who wouldn't get scared at such a story?!)

(I even had nightmares after hearing that chilling story about the children in the orphanage.)

"I want to go home..." I whispered as I watched the sun disappear.

(Even if I tried to break the wood in front of me right now, I'd still get injured if I used the window to escape.)

(Plus, that woman is a witch.)

(She has the advantage in this situation.)

(I'm just a simple person who was sent to this world.)

(These things weren't written in the novel... So I really don't know how to deal with this kind of stuff...)

"Will I even succeed in getting out of this place?" I muttered, starting to worry.

"What will happen if I can't get out? What will happen to my beloved lady? What will happen to this world?" I said.

"If I die here, if I die at the hands of that woman..."

"Will I even go back to my world? What if dying here means I die in real life too?" I said, looking outside the window again.

"Well, there's no use in thinking negative thoughts," I said, trying to shake off the fear.

"I haven't died yet, so let's think of ways to survive, no matter what happens!" I declared, feeling a bit determined to get out.

"For the sake of my beloved lady and the sake of this world, I must stay alive no matter what danger I face! Even if it's the evil witch or the scary ghost children! I-I... I will face them all!" I vowed.

"If I die here in this shabby place at the hands of that bitch who kidnapped me... it means I'm really that weak," I whispered to myself, clenching my fists.

"And I cannot accept that! Only my beloved lady can take my life away!" I declared, and then I heard that eerie lullaby again...

The thumping sound outside the room was getting louder and louder, as if signaling that they were coming closer.

(Those ghost children are here to take me...)

(Shit, I just said I was going to face them...)

(But why so soon??? I'm already getting scared, I'm not ready to face them yet.)

(I mean... I won't even know if I was ready if I can't deal with them, right? Am I even making any sense to myself??)

"Shit... those children are coming," I muttered to myself. Then the eerie lullabies of the children disappeared, and even the heavy thumping faded away.

"D-Did... did they disappear?" I wondered aloud.

"No, it can't be," I said, watching the door in front of me. Suddenly, I started feeling hot inside the room.

(Why is the temperature getting hotter?!)

(It was just normal a moment ago!)

"H-Hot..." I stammered.

"So hot..." I said, wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"Hot..."

"It's so hot..."

" It's so hot... Help."

I looked around when I heard whispers or voices repeating the words "So hot." and "Help."

(I can hear them...)

(I really can hear them...)

(The children are with me!)

(They're here.)

I glanced at my reflection in the window and saw the children behind me. They were all... burned, and in the mirror's reflection, I could see they were on fire. They stared back at me, saying "It's so hot" over and over.

(I'm not on fire, nor am I getting burned alive, but it is true that it's so hot in here...)

(It's really so hot.)

"W-What do you want from me!? W-Why are you all here for me? I didn't do anything wrong."

"It's so hot... Help."

"Hot... Help."

"It hurts... Help."

(Can't they communicate with me normally?)

"I can't do anything if you all won't communicate normally. Stop saying it's hot and tell me what you want," I said, mustering the courage to speak.

But then, everything went silent. I didn't feel hot anymore, and I couldn't hear them. Not even the sound of a bug.

(W-Why did it become so quiet?)

"W-What's wrong? Did I do something to upset all of you? I... I didn't mean to," I said, my heart beating too fast.

.
.
.
.🦋