Chapter 71 - Freedom for the spirits

˗ˏˋChoosing The Villainess As My Mother ࿐ྂ

»»🦋»»

Althea Melody (POV)

With the silence from these dead children, I couldn't help but feel a growing fear. Silence is the scariest thing a human can do, and it's even worse when it's not a human anymore!

"P-Please say something..." I pleaded, but then the door in front of me opened on its own.

(W-Why is that door...)

"Are you telling me to leave this room?" I asked, still met with silence.

I cautiously stepped outside the room and glanced at the next room, where I had seen all the horrifying corpses.

(S-Should I see it for myself?)

I walked towards the room with the corpses, but the door wouldn't budge. It seemed to be locked.

"Those are fresh corpses."

I turned to my right, startled by a voice, and saw a young boy, maybe around five or just the same age as me. Not mentally.

(H-How did this little boy get here?)

(Is he also a ghost?)

(One of those children who were burned alive in the orphanage?)

(But how come he isn't burned like those children?)

(Is he different? Or is he one of those souls taken away from his family by the children?)

"Fresh corpses? What do you mean by that?" I asked, puzzled, as the little boy looked at the door and then back at me.

"Those are the corpses of the children who were sacrificed every year," he explained, and my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

(Every year...)

(Is that why there are so many corpses on the floor?)

"You said children... How old are they?" I asked.

"Mostly children around four to six years old," he replied.

(He can answer my questions.)

(He's probably the one I can have a normal conversation with.)

"I'm six," I said.

"I know," he replied, his face expressionless.

"How?" I asked.

"Mother would never bring someone who exceeds six years old," he said.

"Mother???" I repeated, my eyebrows furrowing.

(Does he mean 'that' woman who was appointed as my teacher?)

"Yes. Mother," he confirmed.

"You mean... the woman who brought me here?" I asked, and he nodded his head.

"Yes. Mother brought you here to be her last sacrifice," he said with a calm face.

(How can he say it like it's so normal?)

"First of all, where exactly am I right now?" I asked.

"Guess..." he said with a smile.

"Don't tell me..." I began, sighing.

"You're here in the orphanage, where everyone died that night," he said, his voice suddenly changing to something sinister. All my surroundings changed—the walls were on fire, the floors rotted—but I didn't feel any pain from burning.

"I'll tell you how Mother changed the lives of these children overnight," he continued as I looked around.

(He's referring to the children of this orphanage... like he's not part of the children who were burned alive.)