chapter one

+ S C A R L E T T   D ' A N G E L O + 

"Mama? Have you seen my black dress?" I called out, rifling through piles and piles of dirty laundry, "Which one Scarlett? All your dresses are black?" 

My Mom leaned through my doorframe, flustered and red-cheeked, "What's going on?" I asked her. She shook her head, "Nothing, love, just getting ready to go. Are you almost ready?" 

I nodded, "I'll just wear a different one."

I picked up a black two piece I had worn a few nights ago and threw it on. The skirt hung low with a slit down the side, and the top tied around the back. It probably wasn't funeral-friendly as I had bought it for a night out, but still, it works.

I don't know the person of the funeral I'm going too, but I know that I don't like them. 

My Mom just told me we're going to a funeral for a guy of a rival gang that we didn't like.

"If we don't like them, why do we have to go?" I asked, sitting in the back of the car, "Because Scarlett, it's nice to pay our respects to people we had pervious alliances with." 

I shook my head, playing with the ring around my finger. "We had alliances with them like... ten years ago? I don't even know who this guy is. Why do I have to go?" 

My parents didn't say anything, just gave each other a glance across the car. We drove the rest of the way in silence.

When we arrived, we parked across the street. The church was on the hills and I will admit, it was a beautiful venue. There was white flowers, red roses and many, many people. Whoever this guy was, he was obviously loved by all or... hated by all. 

We entered the church and took a seat. I stood out like a sore thumb with my skimpy outfit and bright orange hair. 

Everyone else was dark brown or blonde and wore jeans or leather. How are they wearing leather on a day like this?

I scanned the church, my eyes stopping on a boy standing by the entrance. He looked my age if not older and he was smoking a cigarette, an older woman who I assumed was his mother silently yelling at him.

He rolled his eyes, catching mine for a split second before they turned away.

A priest walked onto the little stage and tapped the microphone. Everyone hushed straight away and the ceremony started.

+ + + l̶͍̮̖͍̄̈́o̸̖͚̤̘̘̤̘̫̐v̸͕̿͋̚͝͝͠e̴̛̥͈͚̤̎̍͂̄̉̒͝͝ͅ + + +

After the long, long ceremony, we were finally let outside. My forehead was beaded with sweat and it was nice to finally breathe in air that wasn't dead person and cologne.

I slipped away and crossed the park, settling underneath an old oak tree and leaned my head back, inhaling the fresh air. 

The sun was beating down and it was just getting hotter. I fanned myself with my hand, feeling nothing but the heat of my own hand, "Care for a drink?" I heard.

I looked up, seeing the boy from earlier holding out an icy glass of something. I didn't even think twice before taking the glass, taking a swig and feeling automatically refreshed.

"Thank you." I smiled, handing the glass back to him. He shook his head, "Keep it, I've had far too many." 

I could tell by the way his eyes closed slowly and his unbalanced stance that he was tipsy, but I liked the taste of rum, especially mixed with coke and ice.