chapter twenty four

+ S C A R L E T T   D ' A N G E L O +

It's been two months since Kai broke things off with me.

Two months since I've seen him, touched him, heard his voice.

Even Joseph was ignoring me. I don't know what I did to make him hate me but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I didn't expect much, but I was a fool for thinking he was different.

All my messages to Joseph had been left on seen, and my number was officially blocked. I found that out when I tried to text him and my message wouldn't send.

Winter was approaching as I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to trap the heat in.

I hailed a cab and nearly got blown away by the wind as rain poured down over the city. It was a grey day in New York, much like my mood.

"Where to miss?" The driver said.

"Uh- Pembrooke cemetery please." I smiled weakly.

And then began to long journey upstate, to the most beautiful burial ground I'd even been too.

"Would you mind waiting?" I asked the driver as I got out, "I won't be long. And I'll pay extra." 

The driver smiled, nodding.

My face was bare of makeup today. I knew I would cry. Just seeing her name across the fresh headstone made me burst into tears.

Old roses were wilting and mud sloshed at my feet. I placed the knew flowers in the little hole and sat down. Thankfully she was out of the rain.

"I miss you momma." I smiled, "Life is so empty without you. I don't really do much anymore, just kind of cry and sit in my apartment."

I filled her in on my life and nearly fell asleep until there a honk from outside.

I saw the driver waving at me and I nodded, standing up.

"I love you Mom, see you soon." I touched her headstone one more time before running to the car, not looking back, "Sorry, it's my Mom." I said sheepishly, clicking my seatbelt on.

 + + + l̶͍̮̖͍̄̈́o̸̖͚̤̘̘̤̘̫̐v̸͕̿͋̚͝͝͠e̴̛̥͈͚̤̎̍͂̄̉̒͝͝ͅ + + +

When I arrived back at my apartment, I was met with Logan.

"You're drenched miss." He smiled. "It's raining, Logan." 

Logan chuckled, "I can see that. Any plans for the day?" I shook my head, "Went to visit my Mom and now I'm cooking dinner." 

I checked my phone in the elevator, my eyes welling up with tears as I read the latest headline.

Breaking news: TMZ spotted a sparkly ring on Sabrina Knightingale's finger yesterday as she was seen leaving a restaurant with soon-to-be husband Kai Morello, the children of two mafia leaders. 

We interviewed the young couple earlier today, catch channel 6 for more.

I know I shouldn't be torturing myself by reading this stuff, but I can't help it.

It's been going on for months. 

The day I heard the voicemail I was at my Mom's grave. And I broke down crying. The exact same day, the two were all over the news.

I did research on them, and they dated for three years before breaking up. It didn't say why, but I felt so stupid for ever believing in him.