chapter twenty two

+ K A I   M O R E L L O +

I was flying home from Italy in two days. 

It was one of my last nights here and I was struggling to keep up with the work load.

My Mom needed me home because my grandmother had passed away, leaving her with a lot of unfinished paperwork. 

I was tearing my hair out.

My mind was occupied, mostly with Scarlett. But mostly with work as well. It was Scarlett, emails, guns, Scarlett, work, Scarlett, emails. 

I couldn't get her off my mind.

It was five in the evening in New York and eleven at night here.

Everyone in the Morello house was asleep except for me and I was jealous.

A text coming through is what snapped me out of my work trance. I rubbed my eyes and picked up the phone, seeing a text from Scarlett.

Check the security footage.

I rushed to open it, thinking it was something important, instead, it was Scarlett.

She was standing and waving at the camera, showing her toothy-grin. I smiled back, wishing so badly I could be with her right now.

She lifted her shirt to show me her bra-less chest and then went inside.

How rude.

Then my phone started ringing. I let it ring, picking it up before it ended, "Sorry." I said, "I was busy." 

Scarlett laughed, she sounded out of breath, "Are you running?" I asked.

"No." She said, "Well yes, I ran all the way to my apartment to wave to you because I was afraid you'd be in bed. I didn't want to miss it." 

My heart started beating fast and I didn't know why.

 "What're you doing?" She asked me. I shrugged, "Nothing, just emails, why?" 

"No reason. I'm just bored." 

"What have you been doing today?" I leaned back in my chair, listening to her sweet voice listing all the things she did today.

"... Then I went food shopping and now I'm here." 

"Sounds interesting." I commented, "Were you actually listening or were you just doing that thing where you pretend to listen and then say you were listening?" 

I laughed, "I was listening. You got a bagel for lunch, bought a lipstick then went food shopping." 

Scarlett clapped her hands, her voice sounding farther away, "I've gotta take a shower." She grumbled, "Can I watch?" I smirked.

Just when I said that, there was a knock on my door.

"Hey, I have to go. Can I call you later?" I said quickly. "Sure, bye Kai." 

I hung up and placed my phone face down on the table. 

My mother entered, wrapped in a blanket.

"Mom." I smiled, "Hello son." 

She kissed my forehead and sat on the leather chair in front of the desk, placing a manicured hand on the desk, "What is this?" She asked.

I wasn't sure what she was talking about until a brass bullet shell rolled toward me.