chapter twenty seven

+ S C A R L E T T D ' A N G E L O +

I was holding my breath.

Cass and I were seated at the very back. I don't think Kai knows we were invited. This was definitely a ploy by Sabrina to see me.

She had come visited me at my apartment earlier, I wasn't expecting it.

Earlier

I stopped in my tracks when I heard a creak in the floorboard.

I had just finished curling my hair and my dress was being steamed, due for delivery in the next half hour.

I turned around, only to be struck around the mouth with a fist to my face.

I fell to the floor, feeling dizzy as I saw Sabrina standing over me.

"Stay away from Kai, bitch."

Cass had found me crying on my counter, helping me to cover the bruise and blood with makeup. She truly was the best.

Sabrina had used brass knuckles, completely blackening my eye and making my nose bleed.

I touched my face, the tender skin forming a hard layer.

The music started and we all stood, awaiting the arrival of the bride.

I must admit, she looks beautiful. A white silk gown with ruffled feathers and sequins.

Her veil was covered in glitter and had flowers attached to it.

She was grinning from ear to ear, someone I assumed was her father, Steven, walking her down the aisle.

My father and Steven used to do business.

Then we were seated.

My heart hammered against my chest and I strained my ears to listen. I tried to close them off and drown out the words but it wasn't working.

Instead, I leaned back in my seat, closing my eyes and hoping to fall asleep.

+ + + l̶͍̮̖͍̄̈́o̸̖͚̤̘̘̤̘̫̐v̸͕̿͋̚͝͝͠e̴̛̥͈͚̤̎̍͂̄̉̒͝͝ͅ + + +

Next think I know, I'm being thrown to the ground.

I wake up in a hurry, trying to gather myself as I register what's going on.

People are screaming, running around everywhere. I blink, coughing and spluttering. There's so much dust.

What is going on?

Another loud boom went off and the sound of things breaking caught my attention.

I looked to my left, seeing Cassidy staring ahead with wide eyes, blood on her face.

"What's going on?" I shouted, shaking her out of her shock.

My ears were ringing.

Cassidy mouthed "bomb" and grabbed my hand.

We attempted to run but the ground was so broken it was difficult to step anywhere without falling.

Cassidy dragged me out the doors until we were safely outside.

Police were already here, ushering people out. Fire department, ambulance, the whole squad.