chapter six

+ S C A R L E T T D ' A N G E L O +

I arrived back at my apartment a little after 1.

I don't know if Kai knew I left but I didn't want to be around that McKenzie guy anymore. He gave me bad, bad vibes.

The door was fixed and closed. Thankfully I kept a spare key on top of the doorframe.

The apartment was cleaner than when I left. Who the hell's been in here?

My purse was still on my bed, full of my things. My phone, wallet, keys. At least none of that was taken.

I dreaded looking at my phone. My mother will be so upset I wasn't there last night. And I don't have the heart to tell her why either.

I sat on my bed, my dress still on and covered in blood.

I must've looked crazy walking around the city like this.

However, after a long shower and a much needed massage, I was feeling better.

I closed the curtains at 4, the hot sunset filtering through the gaps and illuminating the most perfect shadows on the hardwood floors.

I finally answered my mother and told her I fell ill, she believed me. It was my father I had to convince.

As I flicked through the channels on the TV, my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" I asked, biting off the end of a piece of candy.

"Where the hell are you?" Kai said on the other line, fuming.

"Im at my apartment, why?"

I could hear voices in the background and lots of honking. Is he outside?

"Why the hell did you leave? Are you crazy?"

Okay, RUDE!

"I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself. You were busy and I was bored." I rolled my eyes at his attitude.

"Im two blocks from you. I'll be at yours soon."

He hung up.

I know I should've feel obliged too, but I hobbled off the couch and into my bedroom.

I barely know Kai, but for some reason the thought of him coming over ignited some excitement in my stomach.

I took off my sweatpants and shirt and threw on a pair of shorts and a shirt with no bra. That way, I look comfortable, but sexy.

No, Scarlett. You're doing too much.

I shrugged, pulling my hair out of the bun it was in and fanning it out, letting it fall down my shoulders.

I jumped at the sound of three loud knocks. I limped to the door, peering through the peephole.

A very pissed off Kai stood impatiently.

I smirked, unlocking the door. "Hey." I stated.

"Hey? That's all I get?" He storms in, placing a plastic bag of something on the counter.