chapter fifteen

+ S C A R L E T T   D ' A N G E L O +

I drove the last two hours back to New York in silence. 

The only sound was the hum of the engine.

I had spent twenty minutes sobbing into my hands while standing over Angus's dead body. No more cars had come down the road, so no one would've seen me.

But I still felt guilty.

I felt dirty, like I needed to scrub my entire body and wash it away with bleach.

I blinked away another tear as I opened the door to my apartment. The hot air welcoming me.

I placed my stuff down on the bench, silencing another call from Kai, who had consistently called me the last two hours.

I had a hundred missed texts from him, and an unknown number which I now know as Joseph. 

I lay on the couch, dialling my Mom's number.

She didn't pick up so I tried it again, and when she didn't pick up a third time, I decided to leave her a message.

"Hey Mom, I miss you, hope you're okay. We haven't spoken in a while..."

I stopped to take a breath, a bad feeling settling in my stomach.

"There's so much I want to tell you but can't, because then that would be putting you in danger. But um- yeah. Wish I could hug you right now. Love you. Bye."

I hung up and threw my phone, spending the next few hours crying into my couch/

When I woke up the next day, I was still on the couch in my clothes from yesterday.

I read the first text and sat up, it was from Kai.

Call me.

I did, and he picked up on the third ring. 

"Thank fucking God you're okay? What the fuck Scar? I called you over a thousand fucking times. I was so worried." He swears.

I keep my mouth shut, afraid that if I open it, I'll start crying again.

I thought about Angus, and if he had a family.

"Turn on channel 6." Is all Kai says.

I grab my remote and the TV flicks on. I change it to channel 6 and there is a live police report going on. 

A helicopter is showing a birds-eye-view of a crime scene.

I nearly drop the phone and my mouth falls open from shock when I realise it's the crime scene from last night. The one I caused...

I stop and listen to the reporter.

"Officials have ruled this a murder-suicide, with no suspects or any suspicious activity. There were no tire marks to indicate a crash, but the bullet wounds on both victims indicate a shooting. More to come later on."

At least there's no suspects.

 "I'll call you back." I swallow the bile coming up my throat and sprint to the bathroom, throwing it all up again. 

+ + + l̶͍̮̖͍̄̈́o̸̖͚̤̘̘̤̘̫̐v̸͕̿͋̚͝͝͠e̴̛̥͈͚̤̎̍͂̄̉̒͝͝ͅ + + +

Most of the glass was out of my back now, washing down the shower drain with bits of blood and cacti. My body was in desperate need for a four week vacation though.