10

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
˚ · • . ° .

The car ride was silent. I didn't turn once to look in Eddie's direction. I didn't want to look at him, or talk to him. I couldn't. I haven't even shed a single tear this whole time. I'm in too much shock. I'm not sure how I feel, witnessing my best friend die a tragic death in front of me.

In the corner of my eye, I could see Eddie constantly looking over at me, even if he tried to make it subtle. I just kept my eyes on the road before me, the car bouncing me around on the gravel path.

Eventually he slowed down, completely stopping and turning off his van.

"Uh, we're here, " he breaks the silence, "Lovers Lake." he explained, stepping out of the car.

I unbuckle my seatbelt, grab my bag, and climb out. The night breeze washes over me, and I could smell the fresh water near me.

I notice Eddie already half-way down the hill, not even bothering to wait for me to catch-up.

Dick.

I then see where he's headed to, which looks to be a boathouse.

As we're walking closer to it, we pass a house that must own the boathouse we're about to enter. It looked old, like someone hadn't lived there in a while. Small vines grew around it, and some of the windows were broken. A couple of shingles on the roof were missing, and erosion was visible on the brim of the house.

Inside the boathouse, random things were scattered all around, although I couldn't correctly identify them because it was so dark. I gently placed my bag down on a table near me.

I followed Eddie into the boat, not knowing where else to go. He layed down near the front of it, even though the back had more space.

I couldn't sleep. I didn't feel like sleeping. Not after that.

I didn't want to be around him either, I mean he already annoys the living shit out of me by just looking at him.

So instead of copying his movements, I simply sat on the end of the boat, becoming mesmerized by the rippling water in front of me.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, hugging myself. Chrissy's eyes hung in my mind. The horrifying moment wouldn't stop replaying in my head. The sockets of where her eyes once rested, empty, bloody. Her mouth agape and her jaw broken. She looked so scared. God, she must've been terrified.

"Wheeler?" a voice interrupts my thoughts.

I don't turn around to look at him, I don't even respond to his call for me. I just sit still, face blank, continuing to stare out at the body of water ahead of me.

When he realizes I'm not gonna respond, I hear shuffling behind me. He is then right next to me, joining me at the edge of the boat.

"Hey," he tries to get my attention, "you alive?"

I can hear the humor in his words, he's trying to crack a joke, distract me. My face remains blank.

"Wheeler?" he calls out for a second time, more serious now.

I blink.

"Isabelle?" he says my name this time. I decide to give in.

I slowly turn my head to look at him, and find that he's already looking at me. My eyes are tired and watery, even though I haven't shed a tear this whole time. The bags under my eyes seemed to have gotten heavier and I can feel a headache begin.

His dark eyes scan my face, reading my emotions easily, which is one thing I hate most about him. His eyes quickly fill with guilt for even bothering me.

He opens his mouth to say something, yet nothing comes out, no noise is made. He quickly closes it.

I turn my head back to its original position, facing the water. The waves are calm, so calm that they are almost silent.

The silence is awkwardly long until I hear Eddie clear his throat.

I decide to speak, "It wont stop replaying in my head." My voice comes out shaky and weary. I speak so quietly that I'm not even sure if he can hear me.

He sharply looks at me once I finally speak. It sounds like he doesn't know what to say, how to respond.

"I'm sorry," he finally speaks, his voice quiet, "I know you guys were close."

"She was my best friend." I inform him, and then I come to a realization, "My only friend."

Saying the words out loud cause tears to prick in my eyes, and the first one falls down my cheek. I can still feel Eddie's gaze burning into me.

A wave of embarrassment washes over me. I don't want to look weak and vulnerable in front of the person I hate most.

Every time I blink, more tears fall, some falling onto my t-shirt, others sliding to the corner of my lips. My face still stays resting. I can feel my eyelashes getting soaked and my nose start to get clogged. I sniff, breaking the silence.

Eddie is still watching me when I feel his hand pat my shoulder. That was my breaking point right there.

I turn to him and begin sobbing right in front of him.

It's like he automatically knew what to do right then. His hand on my shoulder stretches over to my other shoulder, his arm now over me, pulling me into him. Feeling the embrace, I bury my wet face in his shoulder. I shake with sobs, pressing my forehead on his collarbone.

I can feel the shock written on his face, and he is hesitant to make another move. I feel a second arm cover me and his grip immediately tightens on me every time my shoulders shake from sobbing. I feel his hands slightly rub along the small of my back.

"It's okay. You're okay." he softly repeats over and over in my ear. "Everything is going to be okay." he whispers, almost as if he's talking to himself. Maybe he's also trying to reassure himself that we're gonna be okay.

We stay like that for a couple of more minutes. His empty and pointless words trying to comfort me make barley any change to my emotions, but his attempt is nice.

For a moment, my mind isn't on Chrissy. It isn't on the face that I'm in my enemies arms. My mind is set on the fact that I am not alone, I am comfortable, at peace, letting my feelings out.

After a couple minutes, the tears stop, and my eyes are red and puffy. I'm thankful it's dark so he can't see me in this condition. I wipe my nose with my hand before pulling away from him.

He stares at me, looking throughout my eyes, trying to find any kind of message, or anything at all.

"I'll go in the front?" I reference to the boat behind us.

"Actually I was gonna let you have the back-" he begins to say but I interrupt.

"Munson, for once in your life, accept my kindness." I tell him, already up and moving towards the nose of the boat.

He opens his mouth, probably about to make another remark, but then he thinks about my words and stays silent.

I plop down, trying to get comfy.

He lays in the back, our legs almost on top of each other.

Before he lays his head down, he asks, "You okay?"

"Never been better." I joke, humor present in my tone.

I hear a slight chuckle from below me, letting me know he understood the joke.

And then we fell asleep.

·˚ *