32

𝑻𝑼𝑬𝑺𝑫𝑨𝒀
˚ · • . ° .

The tension inside the vehicle was so thick that I swear I could cut right through it.

The grip around my weapon tightened as I let out a shaky breath through a clamped jaw. There's such little light in the room, since the sun has already gone down, and it's hard to read the expression on other peoples faces.

Robin, who was placed right next to me, turned her head to meet my eyes. She gave me the slightest nod, which made me feel a little more comforted.

We had just dropped off Max, Erica, and Lucas, who were staying at the old Creel House. Supposedly, it's apart of the plan.

I've never done this before, unlike the others who have done this at least twice. Im not exactly sure what to expect, I just know we're fighting an evil monster from another dimension.

I've been in the Upside Down before, but only in my dreams. How am I supposed to be sure that it will be the same as I imagined it? What if it's completely different? What if Vecna targets me instead of Max?

My mind rambles with questions, and it causes me to drown out the noise whenever multiple people are calling my name.

"Isabelle!" another voice shouts, finally snapping me out of my daze. I just now realize that the car has stopped moving, and we're parked right outside of the trailer park.

I quickly snap my head up, and Nancy begins talking, "Okay. I wanna run through it one more time."

I'm guessing that they're talking about the plan that they've repeated about ten times earlier. I started zoning out the sixth time they went over it.

"Phase one." she says, looking around at everybody.

"We meet Erica at the playground." Robin answers, "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two." Nancy directs, nodding at Robin.

"Max baits Vecna." Steve speaks up, causing everyone to turn their heads to look at him, "He'll go after her, which will put him in his trance."

"Phase three?" Nancy asks almost immediately after Steve answers.

The room pauses for a moment, everyone silent and wondering who's going to speak now.

"Eddie, Dustin, and I draw the bats away." I decide to talk. I feel Eddie throw his arm over my shoulder, shaking me a little. At this, I let out a small smile.

"Four." Nancy looks around.

Robin takes this one, "We head into Vecna's hopefully, newly bat-free lair, and flambé."

Nancy nods before looking down at her feet. She takes in a shaky breath, "Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied."

All of us surrounding her nod as she continues to speak, now looking at us "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it." everyone confirms simultaneously.

We all unload from the vehicle, and hide behind a tree before booking it to Eddie's trailer. I look around myself as I'm jogging, making sure that no neighbors spot us.

Steve leads us inside, and we're met with the portal that Dustin told us all about. I notice a bunch of bed sheets tied together make a rope, which falls through the portal.

"Woah." I hear Eddie mumble under his breath.

Steve begins to take off his equipment, laying it carelessly on the ground.