1 | bartenter

It is Friday night, 11am, the time the pubs the busiest. The atmosphere is nice to be fair, it's a shame I'm not drinking. I don't hate my job to be honest, everyone is nice and not many fights happens, one every so often, but that's bound to happen. The Harvest, that's what the pubs called, it's nothing special, but it's probably one of the safest pubs in town, so it's good to work in.  I stand behind the bar, waiting for someone to approach me. Eventually a familiar old man hobbles up, James. James has been up at the pub almost every night since I've started working, and he's the nicest man I've met.

I smile at him as he approaches and he sighs as he pulls himself up onto the bar stool.

"Hello dear," he says, his wrinkled face turning into a smile.

"Hello Sir," I say back, grabbing a glass from beside me.

"I've told you before Jayden, no need to be so formal," he says, waving his hand dismissively.

"Sorry, James, what can I get you?" I ask him, as I gesture to the cabinet with all the drinks behind me.

"I'll have a whiskey please," he smiles as he hands me a tenner, I smile and get him his change, which he leaves on the counter. "You get paid minimum job for doing this shit, I get paid more than enough for doing nothing, keep it dear," he says with a wink and I roll my eyes. Knowing he won't give in, this was a usual routine for us. I pour some whiskey into a glass and put ice into it, before handing him it. I put the money in my black jean pocket.

"Thank you," I say as I put my hand on the man's, he lifts his hand slowly and puts it on top of mine. He just smiles before shaking his head.

"I heard the entertainment pulled out tonight, " he says with a smile, nodding towards the empty stage, a mic standing on its own.

"You know I don't sing in front of crowds," I say with a smile.

"Please Jayden, you have a beautiful voice, anyway, half of these nutcases are that drunk they won't even notice if you mess up," he says with a happy smile.

"If I do it this once, will you stop pressuring me every night to do it," I say with a laugh, he nods with a massive smile, I roll my eyes and accept.

"Just. This. Once." I say pointing at the man. I untie my apron at the back and pull it off, walking towards the stage, flicking on the spotlight as I walk past, I am usually the one that sets up the musicians anyway, so I know how it all works. I plug the mic into the socket and listen as the feedback rings out.

"Hi everyone, you may recognise me as-"

"Your the girl who just gave me a pint," a man shouts from the back.

"Bartender. Yes thanks," I roll my eyes and I plug the speaker into my phone.

"Any suggestions of songs you want sung?" I say nervously into the mic.

"God save the queen!" Someone shouts, getting a lot of cheers in unison. I roll my eyes, I don't wanna sing that for fuck sake.

"Why don't I save that for last, a big finale," I say with a smile, making all the men cheer.

"Sing a One Direction song," a voice shouts from somewhere in the crowd. One direction. Absolutely not.

"One of those kids lived twenty minutes up the road," someone shouted, getting lots of support.

"Fine, I'll sing a One D song, let me get one up," I look through there album and only know the words to one off the radio. I sigh and the familiar beat sets in. Singing One Direction to a bunch of middle aged guys, this will be fun. I look I to the crowd and spot James, giving me a supportive smile and thumbs up. I take a deep breath and focus on my voice.