Chapter 18: Penelope

Ricardo's POV

Penelope Vant.

My childhood best friend, middle school and highschool crush then my college sweetheart. We parted ways when we took different careers paths in life.

I had to continue what my late father started and she decided to join her family's business in another state. We stayed in touch but the romance between us died along with the history.

"Mother, please tell me she's not going to be staying here," I said.

"Of course not. It's not my place to insist on her staying, it's yours. But she would be attending the event and I expect you to welcome her. The both of you should rekindle. She has recently moved back to Los Angeles," my mother informed and left the room with a pleasing smile.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair before turning to Miss. Prime.

"Well, I'll be attending to my duties now," she immediately said and before I could stop her, she excused herself.

I had my tea and left for the office, already sensing it was going to be a long day.
Upon arrival at the top floor, I noticed there were several men on guarding duty in the aisle.

"Good morning, Mr. Parriston. Sir, this is unexpected but Mr. Vant is here to see you. He insisted on waiting in your office," my assistant informed.

"Thank you." I made my way to my office and spotted Marcus Vant sitting in my chair, having a cigar.

"Do make yourself comfortable," I started as I walked towards my desk.

"Ah. There's the man I want to see," he responded.

I rest my briefcase on the table. "What can I do for you, Mr. Vant?"

"You've earned it to call me Marcus and it's always straight to business with you. Definitely the way of a Parriston," he said with a heavy chuckled.

I folded my arms awaiting to hear more of his chatter. He rose and motioned to my seat.

"I'll remain standing for now."

"Very well then. I'm here on business, Ricardo. You and I both know that your company is in need of my investment."

"Correction. We're in want of your investment."

"Regardless of the desire, one billion dollars can go a long way for your company. Just the right amount of go international," he gloated.

"What's the catch, I know you didn't just waltz in here to hand me such an amount without a benefit to you."

"You know, your dad and I were best friends."

My blood ran hot but I contained myself.

"I was told," I said.

"Yes. I think you were too young to recall the outings. We were practically family so why not make it official, huh?"

"Where are you getting at, Marcus?"

"My daughter, Penelope. She's back in the state and the two of you made a darling couple in the past."

"That was the past."

"And it's our actions that causes our future. One billion dollars is yours in cash if you marry my daughter."

I gulped. I knew this was coming but I wanted his words to confirm it.

"Think about it. I can see why you've frozen up. But don't take too long. Like every good things, there's an expiration date. In this case, you have until the end of the year to rekindle, propose and plan a wedding. I'll even throw in the honeymoon at no expense to you."