Chapter 34: Weathering Night

Adani's POV

"Allow me to show you around," the words grinned as they fell from my mouth. The dark thoughts were getting the better of me, and already, I wanted to see her gone.

I showed her around the mansion, including the rooms and floor she would be cleaning.

~

"Thanks for the tour, Adani. This place is amazing," Adonna said as we sat down for lunch in the greenhouse on the lawn.

"It really is," I answered dryly. She must have been paying attention to my body- language and responses to her inquiries since earlier.

"There's something bothering you. Was it something I said or did?" she asked. She stopped eating from her plate and looked right at me.

"No. No. It's nothing," I covered.

"We might not have spent a lot of time together since we got to know each other but I can sense when something is wrong with you, Adani. Let's be real. What's the matter?"

I took a short sip from my glass before looking at her. "It's silly."

"I bet it isn't."

"Well, it's just that you like Mr. Parriston.. and.."

Her mouth formed an 'O' before she broke into a small laughter. "You like him, don't you?" she asked.

"To be honest, I do. But so do you."

"Girl, all you had to do was make it clear instead of sulking. Adani, I wouldn't want to like someone you've taken interest in."

I breathe a sigh of relief. "Well I didn't want to come of as territorial. He's not even mine to claim. He's engaged to another woman."

"Penelope Vance, right?"

"Penelope Vant, actually. Her father is Marcus Vant. An extraordinary billionaire."

"Interesting.

We heard footsteps approaching and turned in the direction of it. In walked Mavielle with a plate. I got up and hugged her warmly.

"Mavielle, you're here," I greeted.

"I am. It's good to be back," she answered and turned to Adonna, "Adonna, right, I remember you from the club. How are you?"

"I great. Thanks for asking. How about you?"

"I'm fine," Mavielle answered and sat down to join us.

"Mr. Parriston has hired Adonna as a temporary replacement. We had no idea you were returning today though," I spoke.

"Yeah, well, I didn't make it known but I did notify Mr. Parriston earlier this morning. I can't stay behind closed doors and cry all day anymore," Mavielle said.

"I'm so sorry," I sympathized and reached out to pat her gently on her back.

"Thanks, Adani."

"What happened?" Adonna asked looking between us.

Mavielle and I exchanged looks. I remained silent. I didn't feel it was my place to speak up on what transpired.

"You also met Flamboyant at the club, right?" Mavielle asked her.

Adonna nodded yes.

"Well, long story short, I found out Flamboyant was the one who killed my mom in a hit and run incident a few years ago."

"Oh my goodness. That's crazy. You all were mingling together, working together, going out together and she did that to your mom and didn't have a conscience about it?" Adonna asked in surprise.