Chapter 50: No Family Like This

Adani's POV

As always, I was stuck in the middle of the unraveling tension between the two women. My mother's eyes narrowed in as Mrs. Parriston made one step away her.

"I should have known this sooner. It all makes perfect sense now, like mother like daughter," Mrs. Parriston said to my mother then gaze coldly at me .

"You two know each other?" I asked.
How they knew each other?

"We've met," my mother answered.

"When?"

"A long time ago," Mrs. Parriston responded.

The doors opened and Ricardo stepped in. I breathe a sigh of relief. He headed towards us and greeted me with a quick kiss, then greeted my mom and his mom.

"Let me guess, you have spares," he directed to his mother.

"You know me too well," she responded.

"Hmm. Let's get settle and have something to eat then. Rockett would be joining us," he said and showed us to the dinning room where Beth was serving the food.

~
"Well, isn't this a surprise," Mrs. Parriston said as she sat down.

" It is. I've also invited Derick and his fianceé," Ricardo said, "And Adonna and Mavielle."

"Yay," I acclaimed and took my seat next to my mother. Ricardo left to get freshen up as everyone else arrived and joined us at the table.

~
"I'm still trying to wrap my head around this mom, what was it between you and Mrs. Parriston?" I asked my mother, "Were you friends?"

"Hell no!" they answered at the same time.

"More like enemies," mom stated.

"Elucidate this situation," I said with great confusion.

"She was a home-wrecker!" Mrs. Parriston shouted.

Everyone at the table became uneasy.

My mom cackled. " Since you're set on knowing, Corrine here is whom your father left me for."

"My father and Mrs. Parriston were a couple?" I questioned and felt my stomach becoming upset.

"Please don't tell me this is some kinda flowers in the attic shit going on with Adani and Ricardo," Adonna inputted.

I felt sick to my stomach. My breathing increased rapidly and my vision blurred.

"Adani! She's having a panic attack, baby, breathe!" my mother shouted. Beth handed her a paper bag and she placed it on my mouth, instructing me to breathe.

Mrs. Parriston rolled her eyes before speaking. "That is not the case here. Ricardo's father isn't Adani's father."

~
Ricardo came into the room.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked and came over to my side.

"Just a little panic attack. She'll be fine," mom said, "She just needs to calm down and breathe."

I felt better and my breathing resumed to normalcy. Ricardo sat down on the other side to me and rested his hand on my thigh.

"Rockett, how was Paris?" Derick asked her, changing the subject but that didn't work out in his favor.

"Why should you care?" Eloise, his fianceé, asked him.

"I'm just trying to make conversation," Derick answered her.

"Then why don't you make conversation with Ricardo, he's the one who invited you and he's your friend. Not her," she spat.

Derick sighed deeply with embarrassment.