Chapter 61: Nobody's Burden

Adani's POV

I couldn't catch a break. Relentlessly, I was up at midnight preparing the wedding invitations.

"Adani, it's after midnight. Why aren't you in bed next to me?" Ricardo asked when he awoke and found me in his home office.

"I really have to get to these invites because in the morning I'll be looking at bouquets. Mom said she has a ton for me to choose from. Then I have to find the perfect location and later in the evening I'll be looking at and tasting cakes at the bakery. Then..."

"Okay. Hold on. Sweetie, that's not as simple as you're making it sound. I can see your under-eye bags all the way from where I'm standing."

"Gee. Thanks."

"Baby, I'll be hiring a wedding planner."

"Ricardo. I got this."

"No. I want you to be energized up until the honeymoon phase. I can tell you're overwhelmed and disoriented by everything and I don't want that for my fianceé."

"I'm just trying to cut some cost."

"That's thoughtful of you but do you think I'm broke?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. He approached the table wearing a smirk on his face before coming to my side and lifting me out of the chair. He placed me on the edge of the desk and planted a kiss on my forehead. Then my nose. Then my lips.

"I've been meaning to ask you a question since you didn't mention it at anytime," I spoke up when we broke the kiss.

"What's on your mind?"

"Are we inviting your mom to the wedding?"

"NO," he snapped. He exhaled sharply and stepped away from me, mood completely ruined. I chose a bad time to ask. I should have asked afterwards.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fret you," I apologized.

"It's fine. It's just that I don't even want to think about that woman."

"She's still your mother," I found myself saying. Sometimes, I couldn't believe the words that were coming out from my own mouth. I should be clapping and celebrating, but I was playing on the fence.

"I'm aware of that, Adani. But are you saying that you want her there, at our wedding, after what she did to me because of you?"

"Are you listening to yourself, Ricardo?"

"I am. What's the issue?"

"You're angry at her for what she did to you. I had my fair share of your mother, I still do, but you gave her a chance and told her to pick a side until she came at you directly. Perhaps you should let that soak in," I stated. I picked up the reminding invites and my notebook and walked out of the room.

~

"Adani, sweetie, what's going on?" Mavielle asked when I pulled up to her house and walked to her front door.

"Can we talk?" I asked, hoping it was a good time.

"Sure, come on in."

I entered. We sat down in her living room.

"What's up?" she questioned.

"I just feel like.. I'm.. I don't even know," I spoke with great confusion.

"Okay. Take your time, breathe, think then speak," Mavielle advised.

"I don't know if I'm ready to get married," I said.

"Cold feet already?"

"It's not that. I'm just starting to question everything. Is he really the one for me or is all of that just some kind of fantasy that's going on for too long."

"Ricardo loves you. He's the happiest I've ever seen him. Why the doubt?"

"I can feel myself being pulled away from him. I'm picking fights and walking away than trying to resolve the issues. It's like I want him to.. I want him to start being mean to me. Is this normal?"

"No. No it's not. I know I don't want my husband to be mean to me at least. But I think I know what's going on with you. It will always lead back to Wayan."

I sighed deeply. I was dreading and doubting that.

"You're about to spend the rest of your life with someone. You're giving yourself to that person and the last person you committed to hurt you to your bones. You're scared so you're reaching for the familiar behavior," Mavielle summed up.

"You could have been my therapist," I joked.

"I can relate. I know what you're going through. I've seen it happened to the people around me. Listen, you deserve your happiness, your happy ever after can come true. Bury the doubts and the past and look forward to the future."

"I understand. Thank you, Mavielle. That's just what I needed to hear." We embraced in a hug before I left her home and returned to mine.

~
Rockett was visiting. She approached me in the kitchen when I walked into it.

"There you are. The dress is almost complete and I know you're going to fall in love with it," she beamed.

"I can't wait to see it," I responded dryly.

"Is everything alright?" Rockett asked as she searched my face. Ricardo walked into the kitchen next.

"Adani, can I speak with you in my office for a moment, Rockett please excuse her," he announced.

"Of course, brother," Rockett responded. She returned to whatever it was she was eating and I followed behind Ricardo.
~

"Adani. Are we okay?" he asked.

"We are," I answered as I sat down.

"If something is wrong, I would like it for you to be honest and vivid."

"I've been questioning things," I started.

"Like what?"

"Like if we should be getting married."

He took a minute to digest my words.

"You're having doubts?" he then questioned. His fingers lightly drummed on the table.

"I do want to get married."

"To me, right?"

"Yes, to you."

"Adani, what's really going on?"

"I don't know if I'll be able to fit into all and everything around you, Ricardo. When we walk into a room, people stares and they start gossiping. Your mother hates the best side of me and she's taking it out on you and I know you're not happy about it. You don't even want her at the wedding because of it, but had it been something she has done to me, I'm pretty sure her invitation would have been already sealed and sent."

"Baby, we've been through this."

"I know we have but that doesn't change the fact that you'll always pick a side. Your side."

"I'm sorry you're feeling this way, baby, I'm really sorry and I don't know what to say or do to make you feel like you're my better half. When you left, I did some reflecting and I understand your frustration. Adani, I love you. When I said it was you and I against the world, this was exactly what I was talking about."

"Thank you for understanding."

"We will cancel the wedding," he finished.

Hearing those words made my heart felt like it was going to burst. I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me.

I wanted to marry him but at the same time I didn't want to. I left the office, closed the door behind me and tugged on my own hair. Images of Wayan pulling me across the floor by my hair played in my mind and then the tears rolled down.

I knew what I had to do.

____________
A/N

I know, sort of a short chapter but DTC (Book 1) is boiling down to an end. Don't forget to vote for this story and share with your Wattpad friends. 💫