Chapter 49: Webs Of The Past

Adani's POV

"You ought to be ashamed of YOURSELF!" Mrs. Parriston yelled from across the room.

"Mom, you're invading our privacy," Ricardo retaliated but the look on his mother's face could have scared a black bear back to its cave.

"You're really dating her, she's really your girlfriend, Ricardo!?"

"Yes and yes. Why is that so hard for you to understand?" he questioned. Ricardo stood up from his chair, found her purse and handed it to her, "I'll need my keys back."

She threw them at him, turned on her heels and slammed the door after her. He then looked at me with apologetic eyes before coming over to pull me into a hug.

"I'm sorry about that and about her. Would you like to spend the night in my bedroom tonight?" he asked, "Please say yes."

"Okay. We can spend tonight together and I hope your mom doesn't have a spare key to your bedroom," I responded.

"No way."

We spent the night in each others' arms.

___________

The following weekend, it was my mother's birthday and Ricardo and I were on the way to visit her.

"Think your mom is going to like me?" he asked, smoothing over his sleeves to bypass his anxiety.

"Hey, my mom would."

"I can already sense that she'll be guarded  for anyone who takes an interest in her daughter."

"Try not to think too much about it. Just relax and be yourself. She can see through any pretence. She prefers authentic people," I adviced.

~
After half an hour or so, we arrived at my mom's house.

"My darling. You're just in time," mom greeted as we walked through the door. She came over and engulfed me with one of her comforting and familiar hugs. I welcomed the embrace.

"Mom, this is my boyfriend, Ricardo Parriston. Ricardo, this is my mom, Alexis Prime," I introduced.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss. Prime, and happy birthday," Ricardo said and extended his hand for a shake.

Mom didn't return the gesture.

Ricardo's hand fell back to his side with shame. At that moment, several people poured into the living room with warm smiles and greetings. My relatives. The people I haven't seen since I was a child.

At one point, I've forgotten I even had relatives. Aunts and uncles and cousins.
As everyone else mingled, I pulled my mom to the side, away from anyone's ear.

"That was some kind of greeting," I expressed.

"I didn't know he was coming," she answered poorly.

"So that's a valid reason to not shake his hand, ma?"

"Adani, baby, I can't see you hurt again, I really can't. And..."

"He's not Wayan, mama!"

"I know that. But men like Ricardo are too unpredictable. These rich and successful men are always on the hunt for the next best thing. You could wake up one day and find yourself single and alone. That's my fear about this situation."

"We're in a relationship."

"Your walls should be higher than mine."

"Alexis! The cake is here! And someone needs to turn up the music!" one of my uncles yelled. We laughed and went out to the backyard where the tables, food, drinks and cake were being set up.