Chapter 63: Why You Don't Like Me

Adani's POV

Mrs. Parriston was everybody's nightmare and when she agreed to show up at the next session, I knew she wanted to get a rise out of me and to smirk in her son's face.

Christmas was right around the corner now. I was sitting by the outdoor pool, wrapping the presents I bought for my love ones when my cellphone started ringing.

"Hi Rockett," I answered.

"Guess what I'm doing," she spoke.

"I have no idea where to start when it comes to you," I answered. She laughed lightly.

"Looking at your wedding dress. Adani, it's so beautiful. The fit, the gems on the sheer sleeves, and oh my goodness, the train. The train is to die for."

"You have no idea how much you're hurting me right now."

"What's really going on with the wedding, is it cancelled cancelled?"

"Yes, Rockett. It is."

We ended the conversation and I went back to my gift wrapping. One hour later, I took the presents into the mansion and laid them underneath the Christmas tree.

I was expecting a wonderful Christmas but instead, it was dull without smiles and any joy.

Ricardo had started up a new but smaller communication and technology company within a matter of days and he was hardly ever at home. He worked extremely longer hours and when he do comes home, I would already be fast asleep and he would be up and at it before I even wake.

~

Two days later, we were back in Dr. Milan's office. Ricardo and I sat side by side while we awaited his mother's arrival.

"I still don't see why she has to join us," Ricardo protested.

"She's the common denominator to you both. It's only fitting she joins us for at least one session so we can get pass this," Dr. Milan responded as she wrote into her notepad before looking at her watch, "Let's get started."

"Okay then," I replied, "Where should we start?"

"Let's start with you. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine."

"And you, Ricardo?"

"I'm fine too."

"Why I'm sensing some belligerence between the two of you?"

A knock came to the door. Dr. Milan stood up and opened it. In walked Mrs. Parriston and Penelope.

"You've got to be kidding me," Ricardo snapped almost immediately as they walked into the room.

"Mrs. Parriston, with all due respect, we suggested that you should join us," Dr. Milan stated.

"Oh, she's my moral support," Mrs. Parriston replied, "This is Penelope. Ricardo's ex-fianceé."

Ricardo pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I see. In that case, please join us," Dr. Milan said and gestured them into the couch across from where Ricardo and I were sitting.

"Thank you for joining us today, Mrs. Parriston," Dr. Milan beamed at her.

"Anything for my son and his future wife," she responded and I thought I was going to puke.

"Great. In that case, can you tell me how do you feel about your son proposing to a woman you don't appease with?" Dr. Milan asked her.

"Goodness, who ever said I was not pleased with my son's choices may have misunderstood. I love Adani. I think they make a cute couple, but what Adani was most upset about was when Ricardo broke up with Penelope and I chose to comfort Penelope. She felt like I placed Penelope above her but the poor woman was hurting and she looked at me as a mother-figure. I just wanted to be there for her."