Chapter 21: Party Woos

Ricardo's POV

Mother was making a substantial fuss about my birthday party. It was now only one day away and she insisted on it being the best of the best.

She had already hired and purchased caterers and decors. The maids were busy like bees as she gave them instructions on how and what they should be doing in terms of decorations.

I have decided to join the fray as I got off work.

"Darling, you really shouldn't be out here. It's your party and this whole thing is a surprise," Mother said as I walked onto the back lawn.

"Ah. I have no problem assisting. I've had many parties, and if you wanted it to be such a surprise, you shouldn't have had it here."

She patted my cheek and barked another order at the maids. I looked in their directions and I saw exhaustion.

"Mother, just how long were the maids on their feet?" I questioned.

"Oh. Few hours. Why?"

"They appeared to be tired."

"That's because they're lazy. Instead of cleaning, they're gossiping and skylarking. You ought to be more strict. They're not working for free, you know," she answered and began flipping through a booklet she was holding.

"Excuse me," I told her and I made my way over to Miss. Prime who was struggling to attach a solar lantern to the top pole.

"Allow me to help with that," I said and reached for it. I was taller so it was easier for me to do that instead of her.

"Thanks much," she replied and smiled before turning her face away.

"Was that the last one?" I asked her.

"There's one more." She reached for it and handed it to me.

"There. All done."

"Thanks again."

"Don't mention it. What else can I help with?"

"Sir, are you sure?"

"Of course yes."

"Mavielle and Flamboyant are setting up the chairs and tables. I'm on my way to assist them."

"Let's go."

We made our way further down the lawn where the other ladies were doing more sitting than setting up. They leaped to their feet when they saw me.

"Mavielle, just how long have you all been out here?" I asked Mavielle who was rubbing at her knees.

"Since this morning."

"What?"

"And with very little rest. All we had today was a bottle of water," she added.

"Why?"

"Mrs. Parriston didn't want to hear of breakfast or our lunch breaks. The moment we arrived, she ushered us out here."

I took in the ladies and my blood came to a boil. "Excuse me, ladies, and please do take the rest of the evening and tomorrow off. You've done enough."

"Thank you, Mr. Parriston."

"Go to the kitchen and have a meal before you leave." I watched as they walked towards the entrance and disappeared inside.

"Ricardo! Just where are the maids going, we're not done out here as yet. There are still chairs and tables to put into place and..."

"Mother, that's enough!" I snapped.

"Darling. I love you but hell would freeze over before I allow you to ever disrespect me like that again. Don't you dare raise your voice at me."