Chapter 30: Shattered

Adani's POV

"Known as the clitoris sucking vibrator, the rose is romantic and would become your favorite sex toy," I read along as I laid in bed on my stomach.

If I said I haven't had arousal moments I would be lying. Without a second thought, I ordered The Rose and checked the shipping detail. It would arrive on Monday.

~

It was Saturday afternoon and I was on my way to meet up with my mother at a fast food restaurant. It's been ages since we've done something together and I couldn't wait to see her and embrace.

"Adani," my mom greeted as I came through the door. She had already arrived, found a table and ordered my favorite fast food which was a beef burger with fries and a medium sized mudslide.

"Mom, I've missed you so much," I responded as we hugged before sitting down.

"So tell me, how are you?" she asked.

"I'm great. How are you doing?"

"I can sleep better at nights. I thank God you're no longer in that situation and I pray you wouldn't have to go through that alone. Somehow, I couldn't shake the thought that I've failed you."

"Mom. No. Don't you dare go blaming yourself for what I put up with and accepted. Time and time again you told me to leave, but I kept thinking and pondering if he was going to change for the better. I kept holding on to the possibility that he would be a better person."

The tears welled up. I was still hurting.

"You mentioned something about a therapy class. Are you still attending?" mom asked.

"I am. Once a week though."

"Aren't those classes costly to you?"

"It's free. My boss recommended Dr. Milan but it's been hard opening up to her about the abuse. I gave her the impression that it's about dad and him not being there for me when I know he's alive and somewhere out there."

"Adani, sweetie, you have a lot on your plate but you need to toss the trash out. You're in control of you. And you need to make your tears expensive. Your father and Wayan aren't worth them. Okay?"

"Okay."

Our meals arrived and we started eating. The conversation shifted to how my life has been as a maid at the mansion, to Mavielle being a great friend. All good things.

After our meals, we hugged again, said our goodbyes and I went back to the mansion.

~

Sunday morning came quickly. I entered the kitchen and found John at the stove, tossing and preparing as the chef he was indeed. His eyes traced me as I entered and sat down for breakfast.

"Good morning, Adani."

"Morning."

"I hope we can both be civil for our jobs sake. You're not the dramatic type, are you?" he asked.

I eyed him dangerously. Without a word, I  looked at my plate, ate, washed it and left the kitchen.

I checked the rose tracking detail. I couldn't wait for it to arrive. I had informed security that I was expecting a package.

Later on in the day, Mavielle and I decided to pay Flamboyant a surprise visit to squash the beef between us. Mavielle had put together a goodies basket with Flamboyant's favorite snacks and wine. We got into her car and drove to Flamboyant's.

When we got there, we knocked and waited but Flamboyant didn't come to the door.

"You think she has seen us and decided not to answer?" I asked.