~Chapter 40~

2 months later: 

Lately, all I've been doing is working. I got that job at the coffee shop which has given me something to do in my free time. 

It was now Saturday and I was just finishing up my 9-4 shift. 

I clocked out and then went to the back room to grab all my stuff. 

I grabbed my bag and keys so that I could leave. 

"Bye Shay! See you on Monday." My manager had said to me as I was walking towards the door. My manager is great. She is really nice and she super understanding of my school schedule. 

"Bye Mrs.Matthew!" I waved at her before walking out the door. 

Once I got in my car, I checked my phone. I left it on silent while I worked. 

I saw I had a miss call from Devin five minutes ago so I decided I would give her a call on the way home. 

"Hey, Dev, what's up? I saw you called." 

"Hey, Shay. Jessie and I were just calling to see what you are doing tonight. There is a football game tonight at school and we think it will be a lot of fun." 

It's been months since I have done any school activities. My daily routine was school, work, and home. Nothing else. 

"I don't know Dev." 

"Come on Shay. It's been months since you have done anything fun. It will be good for you."  Maybe Devin was right, I really needed to get out of the house and have some fun.

I thought about it a little bit more before realizing one thing that would definitely stop me from going. 

"What if he is there?" I haven't talked to Vinnie since I went to his apartment to get the rest of my stuff. 

I remember walking in and him just sitting there with this look on his face. A look I had never seen before. 

I walked into what was once our bedroom and grabbed the box full of my stuff. Vinnie had already put all my stuff in a box with my name on it. 

I grabbed the box and went straight to the front door before being stopped by Vinnie. 

"Shay. Don't go yet." He walked over to me and pulled me close to him. He took one of his hands and placed it on the side of my face. 

I looked up into his eyes and stared at his green eyes. 

"I'm protecting you. Please know that." I looked at him and thought about what he was saying. Emotions mixed inside of me. 

"This isn't protecting me, Vinnie. It's hurting me." I grabbed the box I had set on the floor and left. 

Tears came to my eyes thinking about the memory. 

"Shay just ignore him if he is there. You cannot miss out on fun activities just because your ex will be there." She had a point but he wasn't just my ex. 

"Plus there will be a lot of people there so maybe you won't even see him." I started thinking about it for a second. 

"Okay, I will come." Excited little squeals came from Devin. 

"Yay! I will be there at 6:30 to pick you up. The game starts at 7:00." I got off the phone with Jessica and made my way home so I could start getting ready for the game. 

When I got home, I went straight upstairs to pick out an outfit. 

I decided on black leggings, a t-shirt that had my school mascot on it, and black converse.