Nine

I quickly got my apron on and started cleaning tables. I saw how some of the customers left the coffeeshop and a handful came in and occupied their uncleaned tables. I quickly got into them and got them cleaned, picking up the cups and putting them on a tray. With the cloth I had, I wiped the table clean and left.

By the time I was at the counter, I picked up the tray where the order for another table was and gave it to them. It was a lovely lady with highlights. She read my name written on my tag and thanked me for bringing them their order.

I watched as they stood from their seat after they were done talking and I was cleaning the mugs and placing them where other clean mugs were. I picked one of the cakes from the fridge and put it on the display shelf when I found that it was completely left with crumbs and their plate. I washed the plate and placed the cake carefully on top of it. The ladies tapped the counter with a penny to catch our attention in which they successfully did.

"Where's your tip jar?" She asked. The girl on the counter pointed it at the side and they quickly nodded after they clearly saw it.

"Thank you." Lillia thanked them.

"Thank you and come again." I told her afterwards.

They both smiled at us. The next few hours were filled with people with their coffees and cakes, a little chit chat between each other, getting together, and a few students working for their homework or something.

My shoulders fell after the last customer left. I quickly washed the dishes he left and cleaned everything. I placed my apron back to where we all place our aprons. I picked up my bag and went to the front door as Lillia bolted her way towards my direction after she turned off the lights, screaming as if the ghosts were after her. We both closed the coffeeshop and went our separate ways.

I took a look at my phone. It was already eleven and I wouldn't be able to find any stores open. I regret not buying myself a slice of cake inside the coffeeshop before we went. There were still people outside and thankfully, my walk would not be as terrifying.

It did not take that long before I found myself at the front door of our house. I held the knob. Thankfully, it wasn't locked. Unfortunately, there were times that the door was locked and I ended up sleeping on the front porch or I shamelessly asked Scott if I could stay over in which he never declined—not a single favor.

I quickly left my shoes on the rack and ran my way towards my room. I locked myself up inside my room and a few minutes later, a smash was heard across my room and I jolted in such surprise.

"Ash, are you home?" I could notice the grogginess in his voice as his state was not showing any signs of his soberness.

"Ash," he called out again. His drunken mind was telling him to keep smashing the door with all his might until it broke down in which I prayed that he wouldn't do that. I kept my mouth shut and felt how every disastrous knock he made was like a thunder against the night, making me wait for its every strike, dreading for it to stop.

"Stop it." I whispered to myself. I did not know if he could hear my words, I really wish he didn't. My hands were quick enough to cover my lips to stop them from uttering another word. I could feel my skin tingle at every strike he made against the wooden door and how the blaring sound echoed inside my room that made me cry out in silence.

It did not take that long when the knocking stopped and when it did, I was left shivering in fear as I knew he would soon erupt in rage after no one was there to meet his fists. The night went silent as slumber took over my body in just a snap.

I was awakened by the sound of my alarm.

"Turn that off!" I could hear my father's voice just outside my bedroom door. I bet he passed out while being drunk after smashing the door and tried to destroy it but he was unsuccessful.

I quickly got up, took a quick shower and put on some clothes before he woke up. I managed to slowly slide the door open with his head hitting the floor in a low thud. I skipped over his body and ran towards the door.

My stomach grumbled in hunger. I brushed it off like it was some dust on my shoulder and ignored it. The cold breeze welcomed me and the post lights were still on as it was still dark outside. The sound of busy streets erupted as everyone was in a hurry with their cars and I made my way outside after I locked the doors. I knew once he woke up, he would be mad if I did not lock the doors.

Thankfully, the door of the room was open and I was the only one here. I turned on the lights and went to my usual spot at the back. I had a total of one hour and forty-five minutes to take a nap. I did.

A few taps on my table woke me up. I could see that the seats in front of me got occupied with other students and others were finding a seat for themselves. I rubbed my eyes to simply check if there was some dirt collected while I slept. I looked at the owner of the finger that kept tapping on my desk. He smiled when our eyes met.

"Finally, you're awake." He greeted me. "I don't know why you're here earlier than you used to do."

"Ugh, why are you here?" I asked him.

"You know, to remind you not to forget later."

***

Thank you for reading. A vote would be much appreciated.