Eleven

"It is probably parked somewhere." I whispered to myself.

"Yeah, it is probably parked somewhere." There he was, whispering in my ear.

"Holy cow, you scare the shit out of me." I told him with a hand holding my chest.

"Come on. Let's go." He told me as he started to walk, leading the way to his car.

I found myself beside him as he drove. It felt like ages since I last got into his car. The familiar scent, the comfortable seat, the sound it made, seemed to be like a breath of fresh air. It felt like I was going into one of the fragments of my memory and reliving into it.

"Why are you zoning out?" He asked.

"I am not." I tried to deny it.

"Then, what are you doing?"

"Thinking of a way for me to escape." I joked.

"Sick of this duck?"

"Uhm," I could not formulate a reply. I was not sick of him, or the car or anything about him. I thought that I was just a little busy with the things I needed to do in order to get myself out of the mess I never asked to be in.

"See? Your mind clearly isn't inside your head right now." He commented.

I smiled.

"Sorry." I apologized.

"Don't me. Just tell me, what is it? Let me know if I can help." He leaned towards me after he unbuckled his seatbelt and I backed away to unbuckle mine. He quickly reached for the compartment in front of me and pulled it. It was full of different things such as candies and tissues. He pulled the box of tissues and took a few sheets. He took a blow, crumpled them and took it with him outside the car.

"Aren't you going out?" He asked before slamming the door.

I cursed. I hoped he did not hear. Did he just go on with his life like what he did hadn't have an effect on me? Like, I was literally screaming and crying from the inside like a little who just had the best experience in his life. I just wished he felt the same. This little duck.

"What took you so long?" He was irritated. He sniffed and shook the tip of his nose with his index and thumb.

"I just—" He did not let me finish.

"Come on, I don't want to wait in line for too long just like the other time."

"It isn't that long. And of course, it is after work-slash-school hours and people are either heading home or buying food after a long tiring day. Just like us."

"I don't care. I just hate lines."

I giggled. He just stood there and gave me a look.

We made our way towards the convenience store where obviously a lot of people were heading out. He let out a low sigh as he anticipated the crowd inside. However, once we set our feet inside, the counter was empty and a handful of people were just on a few aisles looking for something.

"It's my day today." I told him. He didn't hear what I just told him and continued to walk ahead of me towards the large refrigerators with glass doors so that we could see what were the available refreshments.

"It's my day today." I told him again and he turned to look me in the eyes and nodded. His blue eyes met my brown ones and a few of his blonde strands were dangling in front of his forehead.

"Here, your fave." I watched as his hand held the fridge door and opened it and took the chocolate drink in a carton. It was indeed my favorite thing to drink, especially after a long and tiring day. The carton of chocolate drink sat on his hand for a few seconds when I just looked at it and did not take the initiative to take it from him. His other free hand reached out to me and spread it in front of him. He put the carton on top of it and proceeded to walk to an aisle I did not know where.

I was left there dumbfounded and my mind was trying to process what just happened. First at the car, which was absolutely turning me into a feral animal and now, this carton of chocolate milk. Uhm, he was being nice all day.

"Do you want cheese flavored or barbecue?" He asked, popping his head out behind the shelves of where the aisle he was.

"I'll go with cheese." I told him and went towards his way. He usually picked his stuff and waited for me at the counter. I would usually look around for minutes and after I got what I wanted, I would see him playing with his phone near the cashier as he waited for me to hurry up. But now, he was trying to do it all with me? Was he up to something? Did I do something bad or good?

"What? Lost in your own thoughts again?"

"I am just questioning things." I honestly told him. He would not even believe me if I told him a lie.

"I got the bag of chips. How about ice cream or something?" he told me as he held the big bag of cheese flavored chips in front of me and jiggled it a little at my face.

"We can take a look." I told him and we all went to find one for ourselves.

We both went to the counter to pay for our stuff. I reached out for the things on his hands.

"It's my day today." I told him. I was about to look for my wallet inside my bag when he snatched all my things and mixed it with his. He was quick enough to slide out some money from his pocket and gave it to the lady working on the counter.

"Hey, I told you—" He did not let me finish.

"I am the one who asked you, then I must be the one to pay." 

***

Thank you so much for sparing some time reading. I hope you do continue to support me by giving me a follow, a like and commenting something.